+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another day in Oz

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Another day in Oz

Yippee ! I just came in after Superthriving/MiracleGro'ing all my daylilies in the front and side of the house and I am literally dripping wet ! (Tonight I'll water the dl's in the back of the house. The baby robins fledged so I have to work around them !)

From NOAA:
    Excessive Heat Warning
    Hazardous Weather Outlook

This Afternoon: A slight chance of sprinkles. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 98. Heat index values as high as 106. Northeast wind around 8 mph.

weather.gov
    National Weather Service

Watches, Warnings & Advisories
    Local weather forecast by "City, St" or zip code
    2 products issued by NWS for: Wichita KS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excessive Heat Warning
    URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WICHITA KS
    1120 AM CDT SUN JUL 12 2009

...DANGEROUS HEAT TO PLAGUE SOUTH-CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST KANSAS
    TODAY AND MONDAY...

.HOT TEMPERATURES OF 100 TO 105 WILL COMBINE WITH HIGH HUMIDITIES
    TO PRODUCE DANGEROUS HEAT INDICES THIS AFTERNOON AND MONDAY.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

I know you don't need to be told this, but do, please be careful when working outside in this heat. Grant ed you may not feel as much of it when watering the plants, it can sneak up on you! Either get one of those expensive new Food Safe water hoses or take bottled water with you. Personally I have always drank from the hose and I'm still kickin at 60+ so don't see what the big deal is.

OK so you're doing all this watering and Super thriving, are you doing any dabbing? Of course THAT has to be done early when it's cool out!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Cathy

As a member from OZ Downunder you could send a few degrees of warmth our way 3 - 5 would be just great to warm up our winter
    Abby

My summer break is almost over, and honestly, I don't feel like I've had one. June had many, many days of record breaking heat. There was a terrible drought, but thankfully rain has returned.

Cathy, It is awful dragging around 100's of feet of water hoses to try to water everything, especially in the heat (which, BTW, is not as bad as yours). One thing for sure, there was no need to mow the grass. There were streaks of yucky brown patches.

The temperatures have dropped to normal highs, and every time it rains, I am grateful.

Hunter had to go to summer school in the mornings and this meant trips to and from school on a daily basis. Then, when he came home there were 4-6 hungry teenaged boys in and out of the house.

Thank goodness for air conditioning and good music and good kids...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Lessons from a Dry Season

We started off this spring with good rains, but as usual they stopped, and we entered a severe dry spell. I to was busily dragging hoses about and adjusting sprinklers of all sorts and was just about to start watering my fruit trees. Then the County agent announced a hands on demonstration on setting up drip irrigation. I came straight home from that class and ordered the makings of a system for my veg. garden, orchard, and a large group of shrubs.
    In Master Gardeners classes we learned that sprinkling plants in the evening hours or at night time created a lot of problems with plant pathogens. The recommendation was to water early enough in the day so that the leaves and fruits had time to dry before dark. With this new watering system I have proven to my self just how valuable those bits of advice were. For the first time ever we have had bumper crops of fruits that are fungus free! The combination of dry, hot weather, and drip irrigation have really worked to my advantage!
    Last edited by Tom; 07-25-2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: pictures did not post
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Irrigation results

I found last night that the photos were just too large to post above. Hopefully I now have that corrected.
    Attached Images          
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

+ Reply to Thread