+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bagged Garden Soil ?

Blog Entries

Bagged Garden Soil ?

A local store has various brands of bagged garden soil at dirt cheap prices: Miracle Gro Organic GS ,MG 'non'organic' GS and MG moisture control GS. Also, Expert brand and some other brands. All seem to have fertilizer in them feeding anywhere from 3-6 months, also manure and chicken poop.
    Question: Of course it is attractive to buy this stuff dirt cheap and top dress my dayliliy beds and also to mix with other 'poorer' soil to create a raised bed for dl's and/or evergreen shrubs.
    What should I look for/avoid in these bagged garden soils ? Thanks !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

i bought some of the organic expert soil. i needed some extra soil in my veggie garden and i couldn't pass up the deal. the soil was very nice and did well in my garden. i plan to buy more but i am no expert on gardening. i'm trying to build up my soil with compost and keep it as organic as possible. it takes a long time to make enough compost to add to all your gardens so i think a little extra help is always welcomed.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing! I think I'll try to buy the 'organic' soil--at $1 a bag it is attractive !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread