+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cardboard and grass clippings

Threaded View

cardboard and grass clippings

this year i tried something new in my veggie garden. i put down cardboard boxes and then topped it with grass clippings. i had to apply the grass clippings twice. it really helped keep the grass and weeds out of my garden!! when you are ready to begin a new garden you can work it into your soil and start over again.

Hey, Sweet Sister! The tomatoes that you brought to me yesterday are absolutely YUMMY! I do believe that I could almost live on home grown, very ripe tomatoes.

How thick was the layer of grass clippings? Did you have to water often? Did you get some of that rain yesterday afternoon? It came close to here, but unfortunately, not a drop here , just the sound of thunder.

BTW, I harvested the seed pod on the Kopper King hibiscus that I was showing you. It cracked open this morning to expose about 30 seeds. If you had been here the day before, I would have picked the bloom and taken a picture of Lily with it. What a gorgeous photo that would be...

Love YA!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Alice, the cardboard's a super idea. I've done that with heavily layered newspaper (same concept). Yours is certainly less time consuming because of the way I layer. Mine breaks down a little quicker, especially since I wet it before applying topper). I certainly see a lot advantages to either. Think I'll try some of each next time to compare. for sharing.
    Patsy

so glad you enjoyed the tomatoes!! =)
    i put 2 layers of grass on it. we hook up the sweeper to the lawn mower so that save us a lot of time. it does keep in the moisture so i've had a nice break from watering especially since it's been so dry.

+ Reply to Thread