+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canna Seed

Canna Seed

Judi
    Sorry sometimes I get ahead of myself, yes I let them dry on the plant,I have a table set up just for seeds and let them dry a little more. I put them in envelopes, just incase they are not dry enough they may mold in plastic. I put everything in the freezer, some seeds need to be stratified and some do not but this way I don't have to look up every seed. If I get no germination the following spring I go looking for more info. Check with you'r Co-Extention office they are a great help. Besure to put the name of the plant ond the year on the env. you will not use all seeds you save in one year.
    Ann,
    I just read in Plant Delights Nursery catalot that several mailorder companys have closed the doors can you give a complete list?

Pat
    Log Cabin Pat

Unhappy Mail Order Companies?

Pat,

Sorry, but I think the best source for this list would be from Plant Delights, themselves.

This is what I know...

I did receive a notice from Michigan Bulb Company that their parent company was shutting them down.

www.myseasons.com simply disappeared. I was never notified to my knowledge. They, however, were not a mail order company per say. Instead, they represented several mail order companies. The term for this type web site is 'virtual store'. The benefit of being a virtual store is that you can broaden the scope and variety of products being sold without actually having the products on hand. When you order from them, the products ship directly from the source rather than from myseasons (for example).

Etera gardening is a sensitive subject for me. They were a member of the linkshare referral program which allowed me to have specific product links to their site. I was to receive a small commission after accruing a specific amount. When they encouraged me to advertise free shipping in June, I did. Within a few days, they notified me that free shipping would end sooner than stated. I removed the advertisement.

Shortly, after that I noticed my links to their products no longer worked. So, I wrote the web master, and he informed me that they were no longer in the affiliate linkshare referrel program. I removed all the links. However, they are still in business, and I have never been paid the few dollars that I earned.

I say that this subject is sensitive to me because I spent days and weeks adding specific product links to the Etera site. The links didn't work, and I had to figure out why and fix it myself. All for nothing. Oh, well, almost nothing. Some of my readers saw some pretty pictures for awhile and Etera got a enormous amount of free advertising.

I notice that most, if not all, of Etera's virtual products are 'out of stock', but when I check the companies they were representing, the items are in stock.

www.ourhouse.com, another virtual store, recently terminated the linkshare referral program also, but at least they notified us at the very last minute. There are some others that have done the same.

Why? I am not sure. Perhaps, the products are too seasonal and the payback not great enough to sustain the virtual store concept. Some are just the internet woes, where companies grew large really fast, borrowed a lot of money to get started and the payback wasn't there to support their operation.

But, don't worry. I'm not going anywhere. I do occasionally get $4 from someone who has signed up for ebay, well at least I get credited $4. I haven't seen a check, yet, although I have been told that I am to receive $25 soon.

My site is here as long as I am here to develop and support it. At first, there was just me. Now, I have all of you to help, and I am so very thankful. I will find other ways to help fund the costs.

If anyone knows of any 'actual' mail order companies shutting down, please post it here or create a new thread?!?!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Mail Order Shutting down?!?

Hi,

This is just an assumption, mainly to myself but for the board, incase none of you had these thoughts.

I'm inclined to think that if these companies are shutting down the mail order business, that they are having some really great sales right now. I haven't visited any of them, so I can't really say.

The next most important thing is that...I'm not so sure that I would order "mail order" from a company going out of business, for fear of never getting my products. The only way that I think this would be a good thing, is if you bought their supplies, on a credit basis. Once receiving, healthy live plants then sending them their money.
    Otherwise you might find yourself burnt!
    Just something to think about.
    Kathy in Ga.

What to DO?

Well, we crept off, or should I say, I took a leap off Steve's canna lily question. I should have replied to Pat's question in another thread. Forgive me, for I am still learning.

So, I am off to start another thread...

I think I have the option of moving replies to another thread. If I do, I will try to figure out how and move the last few to the new thread.

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Mail Order Companies- Subject Moved

Hi, everyone!

I am moving this topic from the canna lily seed topic. It is the subject of some mail order companies going out of business.

I personally order a lot from mail order companies, especially seed. I have also ordered hard to find plants, and for the most part have been pleased. The only time I wasn't was when the company shipped on Thursday priority mail, and I received them on Monday, and they were somewhat dry. I had been given the opportunity to specify special shipping instructions and should have specified to ship only on Monday or Tuesday. Other than that, I haven't had any mail order companies to disappoint me.

The subject at hand, however, is that I have been asked for a list of mail order companies going out of business. My answer is that the majority of the ones that I am aware of folding are the virtual stores. But let me make it clear that if you order from a virtual store, the order immediately goes to the real source of the product irregardless of the status of the 'virtual store', so I would not hesitate to order from one if they have the product that I desire.

Kathy is right, though, when ordering by mail, it is always best to use a credit card that let's you cancel and receive credit if you are not satisfied with what you receive. This is for any product you order via mail, not just plants.

Has anyone heard of any mail order companies going out of business? Please list them here if you have....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

mail order companys

Ann
    I did not mean to start something but here is a little of what Tony from Plant Delights said:
    Spring Hill, Brecks,Gurney's,Henry Field, Stark Brothers, Michigan Bulb Co., and many more closed their doors in early July. These were owned by a conglomerate that bought several nurseries a few years ago. I just wondered who else is involved.

Pat
    Log Cabin Pat

That explains IT

With the exception of Michigan Bulbs and maybe one of the others on the list, www.myseasons.com was the virtual store for them on the net. I do not think that they had their own web sites.

I ordered from www.myseasons.com for some products that come from Spring Hill. Henry Fields and Stark Bros. were also very good companies, and I hate to hear that they are going to be shut down by their parent companies.

There are still many, many other strong companies out there, though. And I do not want to discourage anyone from buying from them. As long as they are a reputable company, they will stand by existing orders during the shutdown process.

We have had two paper mills shut down in Mobile this year, major companies, one is International Paper, the other used to be part of what used to be Scott Paper. I think this is more of an overall economy issue.

However, I think this issue is far beyond the scope of mail order plants. I mentioned the 'virtual store' issue because, although it is part of the economy trend, it is typically a problem of jumping on board too quick and too big, hiring lots of people and expertise, expecting huge returns immediately, and it doesn't happen that way.

So, my advise to all is, if you are trying to get into making money on the web or nursery business, please do not set your expectations too high. Set your goals small to start with, learn and gain as much expertise as you can, but don't expect to become wealthy too quick, or you may be so discouraged that you quit. That is why I decided on Landscape Propagation rather than Propagation for Money. The money will be there, but please make sure you do your homework first. Besides, I love to share in what our grandparents did to start their own beautiful gardens by sharing and learning. It is a talent and skill that is being lost quickly by a society that requires both parents to work just to survive.

Off the soap box, for now...

Thanks for sharing this, Pat! But, one final word of caution. I have seen numerous sites trying to benefit from the shutdowns of these companies. My suggestion is to take it in stride, and do what you know to be right.

Thanks, again, Pat! I will write the company you mentioned and ask them to stop trying to make profit by glamorizing on other companies misfortune. I am sorry, but that is not the way to make yourself look good. You make yourself look good by doing the RIGHT THING. Just my personal opionion, for what it is worth.

Anyway, thanks for letting us know about this! It is sad to lose such good companies.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Mail Order Not looking so Bad!

Hi,

After todays quest, looking for that Wilt Pruff Stuff....
    We went everywhere.
    I'm not gonna mention the names of the stores since what I have to say isn't so good.

The Major Chains, with their Fall plants newly in stock, really don't look so well! Maybe it is the lack of staff they have working in the Garden Departments now. But boy, the stuff at these stores, looked so withered.
    Some were dry, some too wet, and others had spider mites. Gosh, my heart was aching for all of these poorly cared for plants. Wish, I had the money to spend so I could save them all!

This just brings to mind though that I have always, ALWAYS been pleased with my Mail orders for plants, or you could say my virtual stores. Never have I been disappointed with a plant that I've ordered.
    So, for anyone interested, mail order plants would be a good place to get your plants.

I was even disappointed in the small garden centers.
    What a shame!
    The stores I'm referring to are all some type of hardware store, no home growers involved.

Happy Gardening,
    Kathy in Ga.

+ Reply to Thread