+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Agave attenuta

Threaded View

Agave attenuta

[/center]

Abby, that is soooo cool . You really have some fun and unusual plants.
    Patsy

Yea. How old is it? Does it grow that tall in one year?
    Dave

Blog Entries
    Abby,

That is one very nice and very BIG Agave! You have grown it well for it to be blooming! I have a few of the smaller growers but I have never seen any of them bloom. At least not yet.

Here are a couple of mine. The second one may, in fact, be an Aloe, both are very closely related! I have 4 others, including "Queen's Agave" and one very stiff leaved thing with strings off the leaf edges. And I mustn't forget the one with inch long spines on the tips of the leaves - I have to trim the tips off of these as they are very quick to stab you! It's gotten me several times and those spines go deep! And HURT!

How big is that plant of yours and how tall is the inflorescence? That is just Amazing!

Rebecca
    Attached Images    
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Agave attenuata

Just a bit of a background into my garden - the main reason for such a wide variety is that I started it from scratch after I built my house over 15 years ago now. At the time money was a bit short so I collected seeds and cuttings and offsets from my friends as I saw them bloom trying to fit such a wide variety into it in some semblance and order. Being a sloping block most of it had to be gardens as it was unsuitable for lawn. As I wanted blooms the year around the larger garden area increased my scope.

The Agave attenuata is over 12 years old. I noticed the inflorescence raceme first at the end of April when I was down the front one evening on a snail hunt. It must have already been 6 foot by then.

So I suppose the inflorescense lasts in different stages for months. I would estimate it to be some 12 foot long. The crown of leaves would be 3 foot across.

It certainly makes an interesting statement in the landscape.

It is also fairly prolific in offsets when growing in ground.

Rebecca with your prickly ones it just might be a good idea to keep them in a pots just in case they are as prolific as their cousin A.attenuata. But I suppose with your climate you have to shelter them in winter anyhow.

Thank you, Abby. For me these are awe inspiring. I so very much enjoy and appreciate your sharing them.
    Patsy

+ Reply to Thread