+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stevia seeds

Stevia seeds

Okay, I am ready to try something new and I am searching for stevia seeds, are they out there? Anyone have some they would share??

I have some really fun zinnias, teeny ones, and middle sized ones, tall ones, and some mystery ones. I have titothia, both packaged seeds and volunteer seedlings, so I am happy there!!

Anyway, If anyone would care to share their stevia seeds with me, I will find a zillion things to swap back with. Or should I just go out and search the Internet?? I think I tried that once and I don't recall getting any seeds to germinate.

Thanks!! Oh, and I am growing a seed I labeled " Great tasting tomato" and I have no idea what size it was, but the seeds were prolific germinators so I grew about 30 and gave them away at work!!

Linda
    Linda

Blog Entries
    I don't know about seed availability but before I left with Mom from Florida, a neighbor woman(who is a plant-a-holic) showed me her Stevia. And gave me a leaf to 'taste'. I don't remember. But it is supposed to be an excellent sugar substitute. I have no idea where her Stevia came from. I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone out there is growing Stevia. Hope you find a Stevia seed source!
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Linda, I got some seeds at a local seed store/farm center. I had grown it before and it isn't hard. I had some beautiful seedlings and transplanted them into a planter box. All was going well until I went out last week and something had eaten everyone down to the ground. I ws so mad. It is very sweet. 300 times sweeter than sugar. I was going t make a simple syrup with the leaves to freeze to use in my tea. I wonder if it was one of the rabbits I have seen hopping about the yard. They like parsley and stevia sure tastes better raw. I am hoping they will come back some.
    tennessee sue

I actually found a website from a member here and was about to order 5 plants, but I found one at the local nursery, so I bought it (and $95 worth of various hydrangeas-they were sooooooooooo pretty) and i cut it way back, stuck all the cuttings and we shall see how things grow. I know it is a tender perennial, but I am hoping I can harvest some seeds from the plants so I will have some for another season or to give away. I bought some once from probably Burpee, but none germinated, so i had given it up.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Linda- I have a soft spot(probably in my head) for hydrangeas. Plse post their pics when you can.

DL A few weeks ago we had sold 549 at our yearly sale---in about 1 1/2. It was absolute organized chaos, and so much fun. Anyway, I thought I'd send you a few of the not so often seen. Hope you enjoy them
    (6-14-09 These photos moved to the newly created 'Hydrangeas-photos and discussions' thread 6-14-09 )

Hydrangea macrophylla Mousmee (purple lacecap)

Hydrangea macrophylla Veitchii(blue lacecap)

Hydrangea macrophylla Altona(purple-blue)

Hydrangea serrata Blue Deckle(blue smaller bloom)
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Oh my ! I have to catch my breath ! I love them all ! You are right about not seeing any of those. Thank you ! I adore them.
    549?! You must be a hydrangea-phile ! What are some of your hydrangea growing pointers ?

Oh my DL, I may need to apologize red faced !!!. Though I must admit to the plantagious illness you afore mentioned I have only 6 (ok 7 if you include climing). I'm afraid that in trying not to be too wordy I may have led you to think the 549 hydrangias sold had been mine. The sale was one we have anually to benefit a local historic park some Master Gardeners have taken under wing as a project. It had been sorely neglected and there were no funds to care for it. When I became a MG they'd been working hard and we have big dreams. There are many gardens ... Camellia, Hydrangia, Touch and Smell (for the blind), and named trees. You'll find a dog play park, childrens' area which displaying their own huge works, several pavilions, disc golf course, great walking paths through wooded areas and even a wetland ... attracting many different ages and interests. So...the Hydrangia Sale, plant swap plus other events provide funds for the Master Gardeners to do what 2 paid park employees cannot possibly accomplish and maintain on so many acres. We also sometimes have guarded prisoners courtesy of local law enforcement. They have surprisingly pleasant attitudes. The hydrangea sale is so much fun I wish we could do it more often. This year's plants were spectacular, all in full bloom. We could've easily have sold 3 times as many. Many people like the climber Hydrangia anomala Petiolaris(white-very fragrant). I didn't attach earlier because not blooming well yet. It takes a few years to establish.Name:  Hydrangea anomala Petiolaris.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  55.0 KBName:  Hydrangea quercifolia - Pee Wee.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  71.2 KBAs for 'pointers', as a MG I'm supposed to tell you that most need/like/require partial shade...at least morning sun at best. If you want a fully sun tolerant go with the Oak Leaf varieties like the quercifolia Pee Wee (2nd). There also more deer resistent (rougher leaf texture). A few are more compact in nature...a few more lazy and sprawly. They're really easy to grow. NO WET FEET. If you have to, plant them a little raised and mulch to prevent this. For me the challenge is to find an ugly one. In general plenty of water and regular well balance fertilizer...yada yada. Now...in all honesty, most of mine are in full sun and don't complain a bit. There prolific, flower and color well. Sorry, I had them there long before I knew any better and I'm somewhat of a rule breaker anyway. Usually like to push the limits. If you want to know about any specific info I can check w/my Hydrangia Society guru friends. I AM NOT one. Just like 'em cause they're perty.
    Well, I certainly didn't keep my words short! ??? not to mention that these are hydrangias sneaking into a stevie thread . Otherwise I'd have given you more pix
    Patsy

Patsy
    Hydrangea macrophylla Mousmee (purple lacecap) is my pick
    Yes I have a spot just for that colour.

I'm with you, Abby. They remind me of proper vintage hats. Sadly, 'proper', as well as dainty, seldom visit our world anymore .
    Patsy

Stevia plants

Stevia is sold at Lowes,here in Florida. They had it in early spring. I have discovered that it roots easily. I rooted one in a waterglass and two more I airlayered on the plant in a few days. It hasn't flowered yet.
    Del

+ Reply to Thread