+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stevia seeds

Threaded View

Stevia seeds

Okay, I am ready to try something new and I am searching for stevia seeds, are they out there? Anyone have some they would share??

I have some really fun zinnias, teeny ones, and middle sized ones, tall ones, and some mystery ones. I have titothia, both packaged seeds and volunteer seedlings, so I am happy there!!

Anyway, If anyone would care to share their stevia seeds with me, I will find a zillion things to swap back with. Or should I just go out and search the Internet?? I think I tried that once and I don't recall getting any seeds to germinate.

Thanks!! Oh, and I am growing a seed I labeled " Great tasting tomato" and I have no idea what size it was, but the seeds were prolific germinators so I grew about 30 and gave them away at work!!

Linda
    Linda

Blog Entries
    I don't know about seed availability but before I left with Mom from Florida, a neighbor woman(who is a plant-a-holic) showed me her Stevia. And gave me a leaf to 'taste'. I don't remember. But it is supposed to be an excellent sugar substitute. I have no idea where her Stevia came from. I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone out there is growing Stevia. Hope you find a Stevia seed source!
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Linda, I got some seeds at a local seed store/farm center. I had grown it before and it isn't hard. I had some beautiful seedlings and transplanted them into a planter box. All was going well until I went out last week and something had eaten everyone down to the ground. I ws so mad. It is very sweet. 300 times sweeter than sugar. I was going t make a simple syrup with the leaves to freeze to use in my tea. I wonder if it was one of the rabbits I have seen hopping about the yard. They like parsley and stevia sure tastes better raw. I am hoping they will come back some.
    tennessee sue

I actually found a website from a member here and was about to order 5 plants, but I found one at the local nursery, so I bought it (and $95 worth of various hydrangeas-they were sooooooooooo pretty) and i cut it way back, stuck all the cuttings and we shall see how things grow. I know it is a tender perennial, but I am hoping I can harvest some seeds from the plants so I will have some for another season or to give away. I bought some once from probably Burpee, but none germinated, so i had given it up.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Linda- I have a soft spot(probably in my head) for hydrangeas. Plse post their pics when you can.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

DL A few weeks ago we had sold 549 at our yearly sale---in about 1 1/2. It was absolute organized chaos, and so much fun. Anyway, I thought I'd send you a few of the not so often seen. Hope you enjoy them
    (6-14-09 These photos moved to the newly created 'Hydrangeas-photos and discussions' thread 6-14-09 )

Hydrangea macrophylla Mousmee (purple lacecap)

Hydrangea macrophylla Veitchii(blue lacecap)

Hydrangea macrophylla Altona(purple-blue)

Hydrangea serrata Blue Deckle(blue smaller bloom)
    Patsy

+ Reply to Thread