+ Reply to Thread

Thread: March Floods

March Floods

Well, it happened again. The back yard flooded and the west fence is down, covered with debree.

The storms woke me at around 1:30am, and the power went out around 3am and was out for over 3 hours. The lightning strikes were so frequent that the sky was almost constantly bright.

I forgot to shut the greenhouse door which was already breaking at the bottom hinge. It is now hanging by the top hinge only, and I'm surprised to see that it didn't break.

I went to the web site of the weather station near my home, but it appears that nothing was recorded during the time that the power was out, so I don't know how much rain came down.

The rain was coming down so hard that I couldn't hear the neighbor's natural gas generator. Something had blown down under the eaves just outside my bedroom window, and I heard a constant ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta.

I tried to go back to sleep, but with all the thunder and the pounding of rain, it was impossible.

Thankfully, it is Saturday. I would not have been able to drive out of the subdivision this morning. The water was way to deep and one of the bridges on the way to my school has been reported as closed due to flooding.

What a mess!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The house that you see in the background is my next door neighbor's house. I just spoke to her, and thankfully they did not flood this time.

I think my fence blocking the water and slowing it down is part of what saved them from being flooded. They have had so much furniture and carpet ruined in the past 30 years. I was really worried, but thank goodness, they didn't flood.

Here ya go....

My west fence!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

According to the water marks, there was 5-6" of water in the greenhouse.

Nothing was harmed. It's just a big mess!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh my ! I had seen you part of the country colored red for thunder storms. So much flooding ! It is a mess. That poor fence is always falling down--sound slike the debris plus fence does slow the flow. I hope your property and school have only minor cleanup/repair.

We have frozen water right now. The snow did not come as early as predicted--it stayed sleet much longer starting around noon yesterday. It turned to snow this morning. We barely made it out of the development to get to the store. It should stop this afternoon. I'll be curious to see how much snow we end up with-- it is piling up but I doubt 9 inches.
    I hope all the plnats shake off the cold effects. The peonies, clematis and hydrangea were waking up before this.

Stay dry !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I have "Forecast Fox" on my computer and have several profiles that I watch because their weather can and does affect my weather. Yours is one of them. I get Weather Alerts for all of y'all that I monitor.

For example, Sue's current temp is 56 and has a weather alert, while you are at 81 and still under a severe weather alert; winds out of the SSW at 12 mph and due to shift to WSW and 11 mph later, when the clouds and rain roll in. Tomorrow brings you cooler temps (67 but mostly sunny skies. And it looks like Sue will be getting your weather next, not as bad, but more rain - Sue didn't you just really want to hear that!

Cathy now has light snow w/fog and 30 warming to 34 and switching to rain. Sunday will be warmer w/party cloudy skies but strong winds, 11mph, out of the SSE. Cathy also have a Severe Weather Alert for today, probably because of the wintery mix and temps. Good thing it's the weekend, eh?!

My weather, well, currently it is cloudy and 56 but warming to 67 and T-storms - along with the Weather Alert. Not as warm tomorrow with possibility of snow flurries in the AM changing to rain. Sunday's high, 52.

The other person I monitor is Linda H, aka: peoplepleaser and she is gonna have some nice weather with sunny to partly cloudy skies today and tomorrow; today reaching 63 but only 55 tomorrow. I will generally get the system she has in about 4 days, but not always, depends on the jet stream and how it is moving. Time of year changes things too.

Forecast Fox is an add-on provided by my browser, Firefox. You can add as many different locations as you want and the intervals between each "forecast". These forecasts are from AccuWeather.com and they may also have a plug-in/add-on for you IE users.

Betcha didn't think you were gonna get a Weather Report did ya!

Ann I am glad everything stayed in place , even the greenhouse door and luckily for the neighbor that the fence did it's job. I also gotta say they have a nice garden on the East side of their property and was that a palm tree I saw by the street in front of their place? Cool. I do like those mound beds! Mine had lost it's height in the last couple of years so isn't as prominent as it once was.

Raining in Indy now, not here yet; I do see some seriously nasty weather coming in from Illinois, the radar is lit up in neon green! That'll be tomorrow's weather and I hope is looses some of it's omph before it gets here. Cathy this would have been what you had. Gee, thanks!!!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

If you wish, you can add this link to see my weather. This weather station is very close to my house.

http://www.cwop1353.com/West_Mobile_...ther_Dawes.htm

The recorded amount of rain in yesterday morning's storm is 4.9". There has been approximately 9" of rain in the previous 3 days, so the ground was already soaked.

The total rain for the month of March is now almost 13". The average is usually around 7.5" depending on which report that you want to believe.

It looks like my city will be the rainiest city again this year.

I was a little worriied about the Brugs that are in the ground, but I see that despite the debree surrounding them, they look just fine. In fact, they are doing much better than last year.

Obviously, I have to be careful what I plant in the lower areas of my yard. For sure, crinum should be fine so some of those may get relocated this year.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I'm sorry but I do track your weather as well! Current temp is 49 but should reach 67 today and 69 tomorrow, mostly sunny both days and winds ranging between 11 and 10 mph respectively.

I have bookmarked the link though so when I need more details I can go there to stay informed! To bad I can't add selected weather reporting stations to my little gadget!

Enjoy the warmth! We will soon be there, but winter doesn't seem to want to totally lose it's grip on us yet. But it is ONLY March! LOL!

Glad the Bergs are doing well even with all that moisture and it's good the crinum like the deep moisture. I wish I could grow them up here!

I did a little "gardening" yesterday n that I was looking for good spots to be able to plant out some of my hippies in the ground and believe I may have found a nice spot. My thoughts are to put the smaller bulbs or ones that have had some issue about bulb shrinkage, root development, etc. in the ground, directly, but planting them somewhat higher than I would if in a pot. I will also use the potting soil they are currently in and work that into the planting hole so they have a looser soil to grow in. I figure I can leave them until the first frost and then lift them and hold them in their pots, sans any potting mix, for 4 to 6 weeks and then pot them up. Something like that. And I have other spots where I can just sit the pots so those plants get better light. (read: not so much shade).

Enough babble!

Rebecca

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

Bless YOU! Lows in the 40's and highs in the 60's are a big change for here, but it is COLD compared to what is normal.

I smiled so big when I read that because the first thing I did this morning when I got up was to put on a sweater. I was determined to NOT switch from a/c to heat unless I have to do so.

The rain is the result of a cold front that as come thru, thus the cooler temperatures, much cooler.

The change in humidity and temps drives my sinuses NUTS!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread