+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spring snow

Blog Entries

Spring snow

So much for my week off--gardening. About all I accomplished was massive weeding last Sunday. The weather has been uncooperative. Day before yesterday -wind like you can't believe. And colder weather came in. They are predicting snow Friday night into Saturday--1 to 4 inches here but a foot or more to the west. Nurseries are pulling their potted flowers into the greenhouses. I threw straw over the lilies coming up in pots--I think they can take some cold. I know the daylilies can. And snow is an insulator. Monday is predicted to be 60 degrees--nuts, huh ?!
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

YO YO weather Starts to make you feel like you're scrambling eggs in the arctics. Every time you get the fire started your flames freeze. Am great-full to say I think we may have kinder days ... mostly rain. Wish I could send you a bucket of sunshine mixed with 2 more full of blessings for your extra efforts.
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Over the past 5 to 10 years, as Global Warming has gotten worse, I have found that there is more and more instability between the seasons. The transition between winter and spring has always been a rough one, but with Global Warming it seems to have become much more violent.

Snow in March or even in April would not really surprise me. A light snow w/o the extreme drop in temps we experienced just a couple years ago isn't likely to have any effect on the perennials that are already up and growing, it isn't the snow that causes the problems, it's the extended drop in the night time temperatures.

I am not concerned about any of my healthy Daylilies or other perennials, either in the ground or in pots. Now plants that aren't in the best condition because they did not come out of winter in good shape, those will be the ones to watch. The weaker ones will not make it. Since I have already lost nearly all of my potted Daylilies and some of my other rooted cuttings (that were doing so well going into winter), any new losses won't even be felt.

My latest casualties have been all three of my double flowering species, an absolutely gorgeous DL seedling that maidened last year after having been left behind in the garden as a tiny single fan and growing in a pot for 3 years - now that one hurt.

I have some pale flowering Blackberry lily seedling that aren't doing so well right now, so I will give them some added protection, but everything else is on their own.

This fall I hope to have a better arrangement for wintering over potted plants; we shall see how that goes.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Rebecca- They are predicting 6-9 inches of snow for us tonight into early Saturday. If that happens, get ready as it is heading east--though perhaps a bit south of you.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed_Lily View Post
    Rebecca- They are predicting 6-9 inches of snow for us tonight into early Saturday. If that happens, get ready as it is heading east--though perhaps a bit south of you.

Cathy,

How sweet of you, but you don't have to send that kind of weather my way!

We are forecast T-storms for Saturday and possibly Snow Flurries early Sunday morning. Day temps in the high 50's to low 60's so it don't look like that white stuff will make it here!

Cover your plants with straw if you have any and then that 6 to 9 inches of snow will really keep them warm and the straw will help keep them dry!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Cathy, I sure hope it doesn't go to far south of Rebecca. It is supposed to be inteh mid 30's here sunday night. And we have been having rain for a few days and more the next couple of days. Just not too cold please. I am done with winter, just hope it is done with us.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread