+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Burning bush?

Question Burning bush?

Hi All,
    How do you tell when would be a good time to start taking softwood cuttings?
    Thanks,
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

when?

vicki-deciduous stuff is apparently ready to root as soon as it can be kept from collapsing (wilting) in your propagation area. The evergreen material generally has to mature a bit more, something about the cells having to "differentiate" more before they could produce the root tissue. Anyway, I would try a few burning bush pretty soon and see if they stay "up", coz the earlier you can stick them the quicker they will root as a rule-less hormone needed, less woodiness in the stems to slow the roots down.

In general, the softwoods root better than semi-hardwoods, faster and better take, if they do work. Even tho you could get them to root either way, so this is a good question about starting as soon as possible.

Good sticking!--Glen in BC

Question Another question

Glen,
    Thanks, well did 18 cuttings as a test run. Stuck them 3 days ago in 4" pots with baggie tents. The first day 1 was wilted, now no more have wilted. So now should be a good time, right? My bush is fairly large, (hopefully 300 or so!) My Mom, (lives next door) has one also, but bigger than mine and said I could take cuttings, too! I don't have a mist system (yet!), working on collecting the parts. Do you think they would be o.k. in a hoop house in the total shade?

Thanks!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

cuttings

vicki-try the cuttings in a hoop house, this was done before they had mist. Actually, many cuttings are still rooted in shaded greenhouses, with ventilation, and a sheet of poly (tenting it's called) laid over the cuttings. You can shade cuttings a lot, even 80-90 % works in some cases, and really keeps the temps under control this time of year.

The main thing is to keep the humidity up high, like under this tent or in a hoop house if you keep the temps low enough that it can be kept shut--maybe not possible this time of year?

Sounds like your cuttings are at a good stage, if they aren't wilting anymore. --Glen in BC

+ Reply to Thread