+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Seed robin

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Seed robin

I had this bright idea for distributing surplus annual and perennial seeds, all collected/saved seeds as I have a ton of them and just can't seem to not save seeds from one season to the next. I always have way more than I'll ever need for myself, even with growing some on to sell.

So I thought, why not see who all might be interested in a kind of a round robin, only with seeds. All interested parties would need to "sign up" and supply their mailing address to the "Mother" robin member.

The mother robin sends out the box of seeds to the first person on the list and lets that person know who is to get the box next. As each person after that gets the box they are to PM the "Mother Robin" for the name and address of the next person and so on until the box reaches the last person on the list. The last person can then take what ever they want for themselves and then, and this is the important part, they must donate what is left to their city/town's local Gardening Club or School for City Beautification or Educational purposes.

Each robin member is responsible for mailing the seeds on to the next person and this should be within a week of receiving the seeds themselves.

There is no limit to the number of seeds or varieties each person can take. However, if at all possible if all of any one variety of plant is taken, they should be replaced with something not already in the box. (I will be starting it out with several different colors of Columbine, [for example] when the last of this seed, and color is taken, something new is added.)

As each person makes their selection and prepares to pass the box on down the line they are to post what they are going to try growing and who is getting it next - this gives that person a heads up as to when to expect the package.

If there is enough favorable response and y'all PM me with your mailing address I can get this thing rolling by next week end.

If there is not enough response to do this as a "round robin" anyone interested in seeds can just let me know. These are annual and perennial seeds only! These are NOT my daylily seeds.

Feedback!!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Thumbs up

SUPER IDEA,
    Momma Robin, count me in please. Think you have my address but I'll PM it any way w/special note ?
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Great-Full View Post
    SUPER IDEA,
    Momma Robin, count me in please. Think you have my address but I'll PM it any way w/special note ?

Patsy ~

I knew you'd like it!

For those still thinking about it here's short list of some of the seeds I have:

Columbine - at least 4 colors
    Dwarf Nicotiana - 3 colors
    Hardy Hibiscus
    Larkspur
    Nigela
    Snapdragons - assorted colors
    Giant Cockscomb
    Hyssop
    "Lady Sage" Salmon
    Blackberry Lilies - spotted and non-spotted
    Scarlet Runner Bean

That's just what I can think of off the top of my (feeble) head!

Excited to read your PM!!!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

This is really sounding exciting! You've grown to know me way too well in a very short time Rebecca...still had about 17 minutes left sometime between 2 and 3 AM...might as well join your new ROBIN so I could put that time to good use planting seeds . Now ... finally ... my schedule's completely full
    Last edited by Great-Full; 03-15-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: left out
    Patsy

Me, me, me!!!!!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vicki View Post
    Me, me, me!!!!!
    Vicki,

Welcome into the Seed Robin's Nest! Now then, you need to PM me with email and snail mail address!

Adding Vicki gives us 3 birds in the nest and 'd love to have more. I have enough seeds myself to plants several large States with flowers, so come on people, let's wake up and be a part of this.

Remember, there is no limit to the number of seeds you can take for yourself; you are only asked to replace at least one type when you take all there is with something new. We ca also send this around a couple of times so everyone has a chance to get new additions.

First stop is going to be Sue as she has some super Hollyhock seeds to add and that is one biannual I don't have seeds for (no place to grow them either).

Where are the fellas? I know we have a few who have small nurseries and might be able to use a good many of these seeds. Let's hear from y'all!!!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,
    Sent you my address and was wondering if maybe you should
    cross post in the other forums, to hopefully get some more
    participants. I'm game no matter how many.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vicki View Post
    Rebecca,
    Sent you my address and was wondering if maybe you should
    cross post in the other forums, to hopefully get some more
    participants. I'm game no matter how many.

Vicki, I have thought about that, but since there is no other traffic in this forum it stays at the top and in front of everyone so I really didn't see the need.

Once folks come top the site they will see it and coming to the LP site is the only way they will see new posts in any forum so I think we're covered.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I'd love to join too, but it is awfully hard for me to get to the post office. Shouldn't be that hard, but it is.

Let me see what I can do this summer to get one of those postage weighing things, then maybe I can do it.

Goodness knows, I have LOTS of seeds. I am constantly collecting them and organizing them, but it seems I no longer have time to plant them.

I am definitely going to have extra hippeastrum seeds, but those don't stay viable for very long, and I am not doing the greatest job of documenting the pollen donor because this year seems to be the year for severe sinus attacks along with congestion.

One of you might want to start a 'social group' and figure out how that works. I've done my best to set up social groups as private, so only joined and approved users can correspond.

There are some improvements planned for social group correspondence, so I am leaving that up to all of you.

Anyway, I have seeds I can share. It is simply difficult for me to get to the post office during normal operation hours.

Hugs and have FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I can certainly understand how difficult it can be to get to the PO - not having a car certainly makes it difficult for me and more so when I am shipping out plants. Not so bad when it is seeds, but it is still a brisk walk and I am not always up to it. So I do understand.

So far we are going from Zone 5 to 7 to 8 or maybe Patsy is closer to a Zone 9 and then it looks like up to Zone 5/4. I would think that most of what you would have would not do well in Zones 7 and above. I will be interested in a few Hippie seeds of the cybister persuasion if and when you should have any of them. I have 'Chico' in scape now, 'Ruby Meyers finished but w/o pods and 'Emerald' probably won't grace me with bloom before this coming fall or next spring. I do not have 'Lima' so that would be one whose seeds, either a cross or a self, I'd be interested in and just about any of the miniatures and I really, really want xJohnsonii either a bulb or seeds from a cross or even a selfing, although a cross would be more preferred.

Right now is a very opportune time for mailing seeds, of any kind, as the days are still cool and the nights not too cold. For small mailings of seeds the use of the padded mailers really keeps the seeds at a more even temperature, for just a few seeds of small size, wrapping the little zip lock bags in foil (shinny side out) also helps to insulate and does not take up space in the envelop so they can still go through the machines. Of course we are doing a small box of seeds this spring and I need to go get to sorting what I have! or I won't be getting them in the mail to Sue come Monday even if the PO were right next door! Tomorrow I am doing DL seeds and Sunday I plan to do a bit of digging (White Bleeding Heart for Sue and moving two large red ones out of the snny end of the shade garden that didn't get moved last spring!)

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Sweet Rebecca,

My problem is not about having a car. I don't talk about it much, but Hunter is still very sick. He has not recovered from mono and is now having respiratory problems (bronchitis) as well as other problems. He has been out of school more than in school for the last 5 months. It has been one thing after the other. He has gotten so very tall and extremely thin, too thin and the mono is simply not going away. He has asthma and that adds to it.

So, when I finally get off from school, I come home to check on him. I don't go to Walmart or anywhere else until I check on him. He is home alone all day, running a fever and being ill, and I don't go anywhere else.

Add to that, my sinuses have gone bezurk, and I don't dare take off a day of teaching...

My problem is TIME, no transportation!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann B. View Post
    Sweet Rebecca,

My problem is not about having a car. I don't talk about it much, but Hunter is still very sick. He has not recovered from mono and is now having respiratory problems (bronchitis) as well as other problems. He has been out of school more than in school for the last 5 months. It has been one thing after the other. He has gotten so very tall and extremely thin, too thin and the mono is simply not going away. He has asthma and that adds to it.

So, when I finally get off from school, I come home to check on him. I don't go to Walmart or anywhere else until I check on him. He is home alone all day, running a fever and being ill, and I don't go anywhere else.

Add to that, my sinuses have gone bezurk, and I don't dare take off a day of teaching...

My problem is TIME, no transportation!
    My Dear Ann,

I know that and didn't mean for you to feel slighted. I know Hunter is still ill and you're not in much better shape with sinus issues and teaching full time. If this little Robin goes well, without any snafu's, we can do it again this fall. Lord willing we will both be in better shape to be able to really participate.

I would love for more folks to get involved right now as I have crammed enough seed packets into a gallon sized zip lock bag to plant the entire US of A and parts of Canada as well! I do NOT want them back! I would prefer they go to someone's school system who has a horticulture program for the grade school kids or to someone who has room and energy (or a connection with their local Garden Club) to grow out the seeds for a neighborhood beautification program. Even someone who had the time to do something similar with Seniors (Nursing Home/Retirement Centers) as with the school kids. I am sure many Seniors would be able to grow a few plants in their windows to later plant out in a flower bed where they live.

I also want y'all to know I have not put all of the seeds I have into this project, oh No! O have kept plenty - at least enough to cover the County I live in! Just not the variety! I have lots of Columbine, Nicotiana and Coleus seeds as well as some odd ball stuff!

I will continue talking about harvesting and saving seed for a fall seed swap, so get to sortin all y'all and watch what you have comning on in your gardens that someone else might like to try in their. We'll work out the hardiness zones and everything. Heck I might even volunteer to be the "Mother Robin" this fall and coordinate it all.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    OK,

The seeds have left the nest and are on their way to Sue in TN. From there they will go to Patsy and from where things stand now, Patsy will send them on to Vicki.

Hopefully by the time Vicki has made all of her choices, there will be a new nest mate she can send the seeds to. OTHERWISE Vicki will have a lot pf seeds to sown throughout Michigan!

Remember, they DO NOT RETURN TO THE NEST!!!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Got it , Boss Oh Boy !
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Great-Full View Post
    Got it , Boss Oh Boy !

I will email you Vicki's address when time comes for it!

Mother Robin
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast