+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seed robin

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Seed robin

I had this bright idea for distributing surplus annual and perennial seeds, all collected/saved seeds as I have a ton of them and just can't seem to not save seeds from one season to the next. I always have way more than I'll ever need for myself, even with growing some on to sell.

So I thought, why not see who all might be interested in a kind of a round robin, only with seeds. All interested parties would need to "sign up" and supply their mailing address to the "Mother" robin member.

The mother robin sends out the box of seeds to the first person on the list and lets that person know who is to get the box next. As each person after that gets the box they are to PM the "Mother Robin" for the name and address of the next person and so on until the box reaches the last person on the list. The last person can then take what ever they want for themselves and then, and this is the important part, they must donate what is left to their city/town's local Gardening Club or School for City Beautification or Educational purposes.

Each robin member is responsible for mailing the seeds on to the next person and this should be within a week of receiving the seeds themselves.

There is no limit to the number of seeds or varieties each person can take. However, if at all possible if all of any one variety of plant is taken, they should be replaced with something not already in the box. (I will be starting it out with several different colors of Columbine, [for example] when the last of this seed, and color is taken, something new is added.)

As each person makes their selection and prepares to pass the box on down the line they are to post what they are going to try growing and who is getting it next - this gives that person a heads up as to when to expect the package.

If there is enough favorable response and y'all PM me with your mailing address I can get this thing rolling by next week end.

If there is not enough response to do this as a "round robin" anyone interested in seeds can just let me know. These are annual and perennial seeds only! These are NOT my daylily seeds.

Feedback!!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Thumbs up

SUPER IDEA,
    Momma Robin, count me in please. Think you have my address but I'll PM it any way w/special note ?
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Great-Full View Post
    SUPER IDEA,
    Momma Robin, count me in please. Think you have my address but I'll PM it any way w/special note ?

Patsy ~

I knew you'd like it!

For those still thinking about it here's short list of some of the seeds I have:

Columbine - at least 4 colors
    Dwarf Nicotiana - 3 colors
    Hardy Hibiscus
    Larkspur
    Nigela
    Snapdragons - assorted colors
    Giant Cockscomb
    Hyssop
    "Lady Sage" Salmon
    Blackberry Lilies - spotted and non-spotted
    Scarlet Runner Bean

That's just what I can think of off the top of my (feeble) head!

Excited to read your PM!!!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

This is really sounding exciting! You've grown to know me way too well in a very short time Rebecca...still had about 17 minutes left sometime between 2 and 3 AM...might as well join your new ROBIN so I could put that time to good use planting seeds . Now ... finally ... my schedule's completely full
    Last edited by Great-Full; 03-15-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: left out
    Patsy

Me, me, me!!!!!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vicki View Post
    Me, me, me!!!!!
    Vicki,

Welcome into the Seed Robin's Nest! Now then, you need to PM me with email and snail mail address!

Adding Vicki gives us 3 birds in the nest and 'd love to have more. I have enough seeds myself to plants several large States with flowers, so come on people, let's wake up and be a part of this.

Remember, there is no limit to the number of seeds you can take for yourself; you are only asked to replace at least one type when you take all there is with something new. We ca also send this around a couple of times so everyone has a chance to get new additions.

First stop is going to be Sue as she has some super Hollyhock seeds to add and that is one biannual I don't have seeds for (no place to grow them either).

Where are the fellas? I know we have a few who have small nurseries and might be able to use a good many of these seeds. Let's hear from y'all!!!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread