+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Something Strange - OT (hope that's okay)

Amen. You will continue to be in my prayers as will your family. Hold that little grandson close Patsy. May you find some peace now.
    tennessee sue

Patsy,

I am so glad that this part of the disaster is over. I know that it can never bring your son back, but I hope that it sends a message to our young ones that this is a dangerous life-style.

This past Thursday, we had several assemblies based on grade levels. Since I have mostly 9th graders, I attended that one with my students. As I listened and watched the group that performed in front of over 600 students, I suppose, I was impressed.

They did some rather awesome panamining (spell), and the members of this group that put on the assebly were from my city as well as Ankridge, Alaska and all over the place.

They had music and entertainment to start the show. Then they did numerous, fantastic tricks, some of which I could not watch. One in particulary, the young man laid on a bed of sharp nails. His face was covered with cloth. A concrete block placed on his chest, and another young man held a big tool that I can't remember the name of... He was to hit the block, break it and the young man on the bed of nails would be fine. I looked away. I couldn't watch, and it didn't matter because all the students stood and watched in amazement.

Then the announcer started talking to the students about doing what is right for them rather than trying to follow the crowd and impress others, getting in trouble, doing things that would lead to the wrong lifestyles.

He then called the whole performance group to the gym stage, and he started asking questions, asking how many had been addicted to drugs, how many had been arrested due to their drug addiction, how many had been molested, etc., ,etc., etc. and the young students got the message that this special group had been formed of people who had gone in the wrong direction in their lives, made bad choices and turned their lives around.

It was obvious that this group is now dedicated to trying to help young students focus back on building a good life rather than going down the wrong road.

Patsy, I thought of you and this book that I had read as I watched...

It's amazing and so sad that so many lives can be effected by even one single bad decision, much less a LOT of them.

If people do not think there is peer pressure or drugs or alchohol in our school system, they are wrong. It is there, and it is presented to the students as being cool and a way to be accepted.

I applaud groups like this that are educating our students as to the long term consequence of falliing into that trap of addiction. Patsy, I wish that you could have been at the assembly.

There was another assembly after school. I was not able to go to that one, but I am told that it touched the lives of those students who managed to attend and there were many.

Patsy, your story can help our young people, and I hope that you are able to get involved in some sort of organization and the school system.

God bless our Kids! They have it rougher than we did when we were young.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

A few years ago my sister and her husband were coming home from church when he was adjusting the radio in their vehicle which was a dual wheel truck, a car pulled out of a side road and he hit them , killing the people in the car. He did not intend to kill them and it was a terrible accident but the prosocuter of the county was running for re-election and he charged my brother-in-law with vehicular homicide. It was downgraded to vehicular manslaughter . My brother-in-law served time for it and is now coming up on the end of his probation period. He is torn up inside because he caused the deaths of two people . He never set out to kill any one. It has changed him in ways that are very apparent to anyone eho knew him before the accident. I know that my brother-in-law prays to God every night to forgive him and to grant the family of the ones he killed an inner peace so that they move on with their lives, so that he then can move on in his life.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Ann...that sounds like an amazing group of young people who are using what they've been through to try to do some good in the lives of others. Opening the eyes of teens isn't easy. Getting through to adults seems even harder. The one thing I've always known is that the Lord has a use for what I (we)'ve walked through. It WILL be used to somehow minister to others. The Lord will let me know when, how and where the time is right. He'll then give me the words and courage for it. It would certainly not happen successfully otherwise.

Dawn...my heart goes out to your brother-n-law, sister and family also. I'm on the other side of that situation yet still feel compassion for the person 'at fault'. Though the circumstances are much different there are still similarities. Your brother-n-law could do much good for both himself and others by speaking about what happened to him. It doesn't always take blatant and willful acts like drinking, abusing drugs, racing and intentional wreckless driving. It may be as little as adjusting your radio, powdering your nose or texting a friend to cost lives. The loss is still the same. Perhaps this could ease some of his heart weight. I pray your family finds as much peace as possible. These burdens are huge.
    Patsy

Patsy ,
    I will tell my sister and brother-in-law what you suggested. My sister has a group she goes to that has helped her accept what happened and to deal with it. I don't know if Mike will do that though. I can suggest that he try it and see if it makes him feel better about himself.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows." 2 Cor 1:3-5

It is painful when we go through difficult times, but we pray and trust that at the end whatever happened will become good to ourselves and to others.

God bless you all!
    Dave

Blog Entries
    Dave and all -

Precisely!

We ARE all ONE; for as The Lord is in and of us, we are in and of The Lord. As the Holy Trinity, though three are all One.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Thank you, Dave...These are beautiful words. People may not understand that when there's such violence it sometimes takes a long time to even appreciate these. I do thank the Lord that came a long time ago. What happened to my son was not God's perfect will for his life. However, He for some reason did not choose to prevent it so in that respect it could be viewed as His will just the same. In the long or short run, as the verses Dave well chose so well illustrates, it's what we make of our circumstances that matters. We can choose to let these things make us bitter, or to make us better. I choose the last.

Dawn, I pray that in time Mike will be able to do the same. If I can be of encouragement, I'd sincerely like to know. I'm glad your sister has been able to seek help. That was something we just couldn't do. It was just too painful to spread. We are so blessed to have each other and a wonderful family and faith. That was our sanity...or return of it. Time is not the Healer but it is a buffer and helps us to think with more clarity. Peace and fruitfulness and my goals. I just kept murmuring 'We'll be OK one day, because we have to be!' Today's the day.
    Patsy

Well, what started all of this was graduation exams. My 10th grade homeroom was great which allowed me to read while I watched them quietly testing.

To add another good note to this thread, I was thrilled early this morning when a student that I tutored for the math exam saw me and proudly told me that he passed the math grad exam. He was glowing and so excited, and my day was brighter because he thanked me over and over again for helping him. This boy is a senior and desperately needed to pass.

Then after my 1st class, another of the students that I tutored greeted me at my door. He smiled really big and told me that he passed. I gave him a quick hug, and he thanked me. Later in the day, another teacher told me that he could have never passed if I hadn't worked so hard to prepare him for the exam. I remember that it had been 2 years since he had Algebra and the first two days, I wondered if I could really help him enough. Anyway, he told the other teacher that he owed it all to my tutoring.

There is a third student, a senior and female. She was a terrible discipline problem when I had her for Algebra. She failed my class, but she attended tutoring, and worked very hard to teach her enough to pass. She passed the math portion, but she failed reading. I haven't seen her and someone told me that she has given up and not returned to school since finding out that she failed reading. I need to give her a call and encourage her to NOT drop out.

Anyway, I am elated! They all passed. In December, when I tutor, there are 6 or 7 students there at once and it is tough because they all have different skill weaknesses and you have to juggle your time between them.

In the spring, there are fewer students, ,but they are desparate.

It just goes to show you that when a student is willing and yes, desperate to learn, they can do it.

I am so very proud of these students.

It was a GOOD day!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    That is very encouraging !!!!!!
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cudos to you !

to you, Ann, the world is a better place. Now, if the students you work so caringly to help will just communicate what they've learned about all this to others your fruits would be greatly multiplied.

THANK YOU for making a difference in the lives of our young people. I'm with Lily, YOU are very encouraging.
    Patsy

That is a joy and satisfaction that a true teacher gets. Congratulations, Ann (well to the students but certainly to you too)!
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2