+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wintersowing?

Wintersowing?

Is anyone winter sowing this year?
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    You mean winter sowing as in blasting through a couple feet of snow and actually trying to shove the seeds into the frozen ground, or trying to coax the seeds into germinating by setting them on heat pads and crossing your fingers? Yes to both. I threw some iris and stargazer lily seeds into pots so that they get their three months of cold (and then some!)

Do you ever remember your grandmother taking a cutting, and putting it in a container of dirt, then covering it with a Mason jar or something similar to that? In a semi-shade environment and it rooted due to high humidity and warmth of the cover.

That is what winter sowing is about. You sow your seeds in soil in a container, then make sure it is covered by semi-clear or clear plastic and leave it outside during the winter. The cover retains the moisture and some heat when the time is right for germination.

Of course, the seeds must be able to adapt, but it is the same as with cuttings. My grandmother used to do this with fig cuttings and things like that.

By covering them with plastic or glass, you get a greenhouse effect, and many cuttings/seeds will grow much sooner. Of course, it doesn't work with very tender annuals up north until later in the spring, but with most hardy perennial seeds, it should work just fine.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Now, where have I been hiding not to know this? Seems it would be too hot for that here (GA). Everything roasts ! I've even had to keep my Camelia grafts inside.
    Patsy

I like to use the deli containers. I have several people save the 'roasted
    chicken' ones too for me. Recycles something that otherwise would go in
    the trash and works great. I poke (melt) holes in the top and bottom.
    Fill with a 2-3" potting mixture.
    There is a huge list of seeds suitable for winter sowing at
    wintersown.org. and info too for the different zones.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

[SIZE="3"][/SIZEThank you for the info and suggestions, Vicki. You sound like me. I save all sorts of odds and ends for second time use other than their first intended because I love recycling AND being frugal. I'm heading over to check out 'wintersown.org' RIGHT now ]
    Patsy

Hi Patsy,
    I'm sorry to have missed welcoming you to the group/board, or maybe I did
    and the almost old timers is kicking in.
    I've been here so long, but sometimes I disappear for a little bit, but always make my way back here to my friends.
    I discovered wintersowing a few years ago and always have had success, not
    total success but some none the less.
    The seedlings are supposed to be hardier, when starting this way.
    Rowan,
    I have never used a heat mat, or started seeds indoors. Just don't have the space for doing it that way.
    I do try to practice the three R's. I especially love my recycled pergola and boardwalks.
    Have a great day (with your GS). How many do you have? We have 4 and they all stayed the night. Seems like many many moons ago that our 5 were that size! Which it was, they now range in ages from 16-27!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vikki
    I am waiting on some daylily seeds to germinate but it is summer here

+ Reply to Thread