+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Found the Manufacturer of air root pruning pots

Thumbs up Found the Manufacturer of air root pruning pots

Glen and others,

Found 3 pots in some free pots I collected this week and they are 2 3/8 square by 5 inch deep pots that are open bottom air pruning pots. On the bottom they list the manufaturer in Portland, OR.

They are manufactured by Anderson Die and Mfg Company, Portland, OR

Gary J

being new to the hobby I would like to know exactly what the term "air root pruning pots" means. are these purpose built? Just curious, the gardening lingo is almost as complex as the auto repair manuals we use

Post Air Pruning of Root systems

Mike,

Many plants such as Walnut trees, Pecan trees, Texas Mountain Laurel trees, etc form long tap roots that make them very hard to transplant. I suspect that many of our shade trees do the same thing to some extent or other. The industry has realized for a number of years that these trees when used for planting in city street type settings where they get little to no care were doing poorly because when dug and balled and burlaped the root systems never recovered. A tree that normally produces a taproot usually does not make very good lateral roots. Experiments were done with cutting the taproot when young and this has just resulted in trees with multiple tap roots and still minimal side secondary roots.

It was discovered though that if you planted a tree that wanted to grow a taproot in a pot with no bottom that the air would kill the taproot while the tree is VERY YOUNG and that the tree would then make massive fibrous lateral secondary roots.

I got interested in this when I bought some walnut trees that had been air root pruned from Starks Nursery. I transplanted them in the Texas heat and they are growing like gangbusters.

I have experimented since with a couple of Texas Mountain Laurel and a Pecan seedling I got from a sprouted pecan nut and they are going gangbusters too. Not having pots I planted them in styrofoam cups with the bottom punched out. The Pecan has been in the pot for a little over 3 months and is already 16 inches tall and has been repotted out to a 3 gallon container. The fibrous root system was amazing when I transplanted it to the new pot.

I live where the top soil is shallow. Its almost impossible to plant pecans here because of their very long taproot. I now have a pecan seedling to plant thats root system will only be about 12 inches long and soooo much easier to plant in a proper hole. Trying to dig holes 3-4 feet deep for regular pecans is virtually impossible and when you do get one that deep you expect Chinese people to be coming up and out of the hole!! 4 feet down is a foot lower than my tractor mounted auger goes down.

Gary J

Gary.Last spring I planted some silver leaf maple seeds and now they are about three feet tall this spring .They are planted in three gallon pots do you think I could pull them out of the pots and cut out the bottum and than place on screen and air prune I asumw you can air prune at any age .I guess if theres to many roots on the bottum of the pot when I air prune it may be to big of a change and could kill the trees How do you feel about this
    Gene

Unhappy My understanding is no

My understanding is it only really works when the trees are in the very smallest seedling stage. If they have developed much of a tap root and the root is well established then the tedency of the plant is to continue with the tap root and if yo cut it off it just branches and grows another one. Rmember we are trying to fool a tree into thinking it doesn't need to have one. Maturity of the root system seems to make a difference.

I don't know if silver maple has tap roots or not - have never planted one!!

Gary J

Gary I too have cut out the bottums of the sytrofoam cups and than went back and cut slots on the sides ,I started at the bottum and cutslots 1/8 inch wide up to about 1/3 the cup.
    I have never used this these cups but want to try them out on something.
    Oh I ran into a web site that they discover by cutting slots on the side the air prune the laterial roots to and grow even more roots and now there selling the pots .This makes alot of sence why not. If you should decide to cut slots in the sides of the cut you could use a soldering gun really works fast but do it outside the fumes are bad
    Gene

Send me your snail mail address

Gene, If you don't have any Texas Montain Laurel trees up where you are I'll send you some seeds. These ned to be air root pruned. If you need seed send me your snail mail addy - send it to bearspaw100@hotmail.com.

Gary J

Air Root Pruning

My understanding from what I have read (and that reminds me I have to ask a guy at Texas A&M who is doing rearch on this and SPINOUT) is that the air pruning has something to do with the age of the root system too. Apparently the younger the root system is the less affected it is by the development of hormones produced at the root tip. These are much the same hormones that are produced at the apical meristem of the plant. Once the hormones go into production they control what the plant is going to do. So if the plant already has root growth hormones telling it to make tap roots it is going to, come heck or high water.

Am I on the right track?

After reading about air pruning I found and "rescued" a pecan seedling from a piece of rotted fabric down on the property, probably something one of the kids left. It's about 6 inches, pecan still attached, with a tap root about 12 inches. It was a trick getting the fabric from around it, but presently it's sitting in a good mix with the root sticking out the bottom of the pot. This was 4 days ago and so far it's still alive. If this is wrong someone hurry up and tell me!

Ros

+ Reply to Thread