+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boy Sticks Tongue to Ice Cold Pole(Wichita)

Blog Entries

Boy Sticks Tongue to Ice Cold Pole(Wichita)

How cute is this kid ?! Be sure to watch the video (box with link inside story).
    Park City is just a tad north of Wichita,
    http://www.ksn.com/news/local/37668069.html
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Oh!

That is so funny, but I feel for the poor child. What a lesson to learn, the hard way!

This past week, I have realized how spoiled I am. This morning, the internet cable was down more than up, so I called to complain and after a 30 minute 'hold', I spoke to a support person in Iowa. Usually, I get someone in Pensacola, but not this time. OMG! How do you all survive such cold temps?

With the help of my loving brother, I now have plastic on my porch. While he was installing the plastic, I was hauling all of my potted, older amaryllis to the garage. Heaven forbid that I would need something out of the deep freezer because it is covered with pots.

For two nights, the forecasts were for lows of 17-18 degrees. Those are record breaking lows. And if something could go wrong, it did.

When I tried to disconnect the water hose from one of the well pump faucets, the pvc broke and water gushed everywhere. It was dark, so the breaker for the well was turned off and suddenly, I remembered that the flood lights in the old greenhouse was on one of the legs of of power to the well. No lights!!!!

Then it was time to light the propane heater in the old gh and the knob broke off (entirely), so to the store to get a ceramic heater.

But no electricity until the broken pvc pipe was fixed. Thank goodness for my brother! When I called, he came right over to help. Gosh! I love my brother!

Anyway, it was a hectic few days and to make a long story short, after so many things went wrong, it never got below 28 degrees.

But my plastic is UP, Kerosene heater is in the porch and a new electric heater in the old gh. I do plan to purchase a new propane heater because as we all know, if there is a snow in this part of the country, power lines are subject to going down.

I am ready for WINTER to be over,but grateful that it did NOT get as cold as forecasted. They said this is due to cloud cover that protected us!

Thanks for that!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh My , I wondered where you were for a few days there. I'm glad it didn't get down to 17-18 but there is something to be said for all the work you and your brother(You're right he is a sweeitie) did preparing; it will pay off in the long run. I hope all your plants are proteced now.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Yep! My brother is the BEST and so very handsome to boot!

When I fussed at him about the crinum with the severed roots, he just smiled and said it would grow. I said, "No, it won't. It's ruined." He just smiled. So, while he was putting up the plastic, I announced that I was "eating crow" and showed him the bulb with roots growing. He didn't rub it in, he just smiled really big and said, "Yes! They are amazing bulbs."

My Mom is so lucky to have him living there with her! He takes good care of her and his grandchildren. His grandson is spending the weekend with Hunter, and I adore that child! He loves Aunt Ann's cooking, and I spoil him by being prepared to cook his favorites.

Yep! My plants are fine, and I am learning that I have been overprotective in years past...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread