+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pest on Cymbidium orchid

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Pest on Cymbidium orchid

Darn it all ! Is that a mealy bug or spider mite ?(I did see webbing). They are individual white things that look like sprinkles. I was going to use insecticidal soap until I realized the white stuff would stay. Is this the pest that you can use alcohol on ? I could wipe each leaf with cotton dipped in alcohol ?
    Attached Images  
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    I'm going to try alcohol tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes.

Blog Entries
    Not mealy bug, looks more like spider mite of some other sucking/rasping insect. Alcohol will not work, you need an mitetacide/insecticide approved for use on orchids.

The tiny white marks are the scars left by tissue damage and can be on both the top and bottom of the leaves. In the meanwhile, isolate this plant from all others. If you can get a large, clear plastic bag and a no pest strip, you can bag the plant with the strip and see if that won't kill the critter. Bag for 24 to 48 hours and repeat every 7 to 10 days.

Increase air circulation in the area you keep this plant and keep a close watch on all of the other plants - use a hand held magnifying glass as the scarring can be very tiny and go un-noticed. Cooler temps also can help.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    well....sometimes I just 'go for it' when I realize that painstaking methodology is going to be ..painstaking ! Yes, the alcohol and cotton approach was like climbing Mt. Everst. Then I thought..the shower ! I don't have a telephone sprayer so it was just the shower head. I tried not to dump too much potting medium into the tub as I twirled the pot around on an angle. It cleaned up the leaves somewhat. Some of that stuff does come off. I did manage to kill 2 spiders pre-shower. Then I saw an awful white fuzzy mess between two leaves. That's when I grabbed any leftover houseplant insecticide I could find. I sprayed the bejeebers out of it with a pyrethrin spray. I probably overdosed myself while I was at it--uh, oh.
    The second cybidium had a spider mite on it which I killed but also had a large spider on it. I would bet that that guy is keeping that orchid fairly clean --might be eating the spider mites. However, I did spray down at the base of the orchid anyway.
    I moved my 3 smaller orchids out to another room and will look closely at them tomorrow. I might be able to just spray them in the sink with water as they have small pots.
    What a mess...I like it so much better when they can go outside and the bugs can get eaten by other bugs.

Blog Entries
    Mealybugs are difficult to get rid of, so be prepared to have to do repeat treatment. Darned things will lay their eggs in the potting medium and the eggs are impervious to insecticides. Looks like I was wrong about them not being present; Lo siento!

Spider mites are very tiny and next to impossible to see with the naked eye, so those may be another type of "spider" you have been seeing. I also leave the bigger spiders alone that come in with the plants or that show up. Just wish Lady Bugs would come in to take care of the aphids when they show up.

I have lost nearly all of the DL prolifs I was trying to winter over under the lights. Hoping being closer to the lights and one their own shelf will bring some back. Time will tell.

Continue to be vigilant about the pest problems on your orchids and be sure to closely inspect any other plants that were in the same area. And now that you have "gone for it", please do take a little time and do your homework to find out what reliable treatments are available and try to keep them on hand and use them for future treatments.

Rebecca

PS
    My one and only Phalaenopsis is blooming again!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread