+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What am I ?

Threaded View

Blog Entries

What am I ?

Also bought the Hoya(waxplant) and a "looks like" but isn't 'corkscrew/shell plant'. Question is: what is that plant ? It is not a shell vine but I don't know what it is ? Also, if you recognize the Florida succulent, do tell, it is very prolific,creates babies on the leaf edges, and when mature flowers with a red flowered umbrel.
    Attached Images  
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy, The unknown from Florida appears to be a Mother of Millions. You should be able to do a Landspro search and find some info on these. I have 23 different ones. They are fun to watch the little plantlets that grow on the leaf edges fall and take root.
    The other plant looks like a variegated Hindu Rope plant. They can get quite long. Mom had hers in a hanging basket and it was really a beautiful plant.
    I see you have started the New year with a shopping trip. Enjoy.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Oh my gosh Sue ! You knew both of them !
    That Mother of Millions has been around my Mom's house since a home nurse gave it to my Dad(he passed in 1998 so it was around longer than that). It has spread quite a bit and those red umbrels are intriguing ! Dad would have been as surprised as I to hear it hails from Madagascar and even its name would have tickled him as it does me. The house is being sold and I grabbed those starts the day I left for the last time(12/14).
    Hindu Rope plant ! Golly ! I almost want to go back to the nursery and tell the woman who helped me that information ! I will make sure it gets a nice hanging basket.
    Thank you so much Sue !!!!

Blog Entries
    Does anyone know how to propagate the HOYA(Waxplant)? It surprised me by growing undetected between the plant stand and window towards the sliding glass door. I found out while cleaning. It is now attached(with orchid clips) onto the wood blind slats. There are a few places that look ripe for propagation--kinda like philadendrons. Oh and yes, that one also got away from me but philadendrons I know how to corral ! :-) Any advice on the Hoya please ? Thank you !

Blog Entries
    First of all, the Variegated Hindu Rope Plant IS a Hoya! A mutated version, but still a Hoya! As for propagation, relatively easy, simply root in water or moist soil. I prefer water because they take forever to strike root! Any piece /section of the vine with at least one leaf will root, two opposite leaves is better and new growth will often start at the leaf axis as tip growth is generally the first to be sacrificed for root formation.

Hoya like a small pot or at least being pot bound. They don't like being disturbed either and must have formed many long, vines in order to bloom. My decades old plants that are in the basement have suffered damage by opossums climbing on them this winter, so I don't even expect them to bloom for a couple of years - until they recuperate and repair themselves. They will need a lot of grooming to get them cleaned up once they can go outside too.

Your "Mother of Thousands" would be Kalanchoe daigremontiana syn. Bryophyllum daigremontianum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalanchoe_daigremontiana), neat plant! Can be invasive in tropical climates!

Enjoy you new acquisitions!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    Your "Mother of Thousands" would be Kalanchoe daigremontiana syn. Bryophyllum daigremontianum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalanchoe_daigremontiana), neat plant! Can be invasive in tropical climates!

Rebecca
    Rebecca

I sure wish I knew this info about Mother of Thousands long time ago - I have been pulling it of my garden for the last 20 years
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abbyjen View Post
    Rebecca

I sure wish I knew this info about Mother of Thousands long time ago - I have been pulling it of my garden for the last 20 years

The revenge of Mother Nature! :-)
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Shame for a 'weed' it is a very nice plant.
    Abby

Blog Entries
    Even the most beautiful orchid is a weed when it's growing in a corn field! At least MOT can be managed as a container plant and in some places that is the ONLY way it can be enjoyed for the unique qualities it has.

;-p
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread