+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New African Violet

Threaded View

Blog Entries

New African Violet

Got this with a gift card from my boss. I like the flower form and picotee :
    Attached Images  
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

It is interesting to see how hybridizing have created these different looks of AV.
    Dave

Blog Entries
    Yes, Dave. Just now I discovered a name tag buried in the massive foliage ! It is 'Laughing Anna' (Semidouble pink/fuchsia fantasy edge. Dark green. Standard (TX Hyb) ).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed_Lily View Post
    Yes, Dave. Just now I discovered a name tag buried in the massive foliage ! It is 'Laughing Anna' (Sem-idouble pink/fuchsia fantasy edge. Dark green. Standard (TX Hyb) ).
    I love it! And how nice there was a tag in it!! You can expect it to get over 12-14" across, depending on how well you can grow it. The image seems to show multiple crowns and if you are good at it, you might want to remove them, root them and grow them all on as single crowns, allowing them to reach their potential.

I love African Violets (Saintpaulias), unfortunately I can not grow them well here unless I plant them in a 55 gallon aquarium! I have 2 variegated ones growing in the old goldfish tank and have had to re-plant them once already. the "standard" one is 12-14 inches across, a feat considering the tank is only 12 " deep (back to front). And my miniature now has at least one additional crown that I must try to remove and plant elsewhere in the terrarium. Both have just finished a beautiful bloom display. The mini came from an Ohio grower and I bought it at one of the Indy Garden and Patio shows some 6 to 8 years ago. The standard one I found at WM when I worked there and grabbed it up as it was the only one with variegated foliage. It was actually grown locally at one of the big wholesale flower production "farms". How I managed to keep them alive before being planted in the tank amazes me!

I've seen a few I would have like to have had, fortunately I did not have money to spare for them and, no place to grow them (the terrarium is full!)

Check them out, and remember I shot this through the glass!

Rebecca

Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    What a pretty picture. I never knew they could have variegated leaves--I bet they are hard to find. Gorgeous !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed_Lily View Post
    What a pretty picture. I never knew they could have variegated leaves--I bet they are hard to find. Gorgeous !
    Cathy,

Not as difficult as you might think! Best sources are Home and Garden Shows, locally owned greenhouses (the Mom and Pop type) and through mail order. Google Variegated African Violet Growers/Sellers. You might even be given a local grower!

And they also come in mini and standard "trailers" and I think in both all green and variegated foliage!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Dave,

Very nice selection of the "Optimara" type hybrids! I love the pinks myself, my 3 AV are all in the blue to purple range though. That said, my newest variegated has had a flush of new growth and it is PINK! I kid you now, absolutely lovely! And of course I can't find a recent picture of it! Guess I'll have to get one and send it later.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Dave
    You sure are a good shopper - true value for money there. I do love the white one with the blue edge. They slug us for some $12 for an AV here.

I grow the mini ones from a leaf cutting in a vase and they just grow and bloom there for several years
    Abby

I'm partial to the blues and that blue ruffled white is my favorite as well. Those were a bargain!
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Holy Smokes ! $2.50 ?! Wow ! You lucked out. Those are all unique and beautiful ! I misse the AV Club sale a couple of weeks ago but , trust me, now way they'd sell for such a great price.

Blog Entries
    Gonna try this again, but w/o all the previous message since I can't remember what I said!!!

Any who, this is my PINK, variegated African Violet (and my semi-mini green and white variegated AV - it has a pink blush to new growth but nothing like this standard one has!).

I don't recall what I paid for the pink variegated one, probably around $4.00, but since it was so unique and the ONLY ONE in the batch, I had to have it! LOL!

Also a shot of the Semi-miniature Variegated one.
    Attached Images    
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca
    The variegated ones are beautiful even when not in bloom
    Hope you post a pix of the pink one when the buds open
    Abby

Blog Entries
    The bloom on it are a deep, royal blue and single, very simple form.

I took myself to Lowe's today, just for fun and they had a shipment of AV's, but not a variegated one in the lot. Price was only $2.98 though and are un-named Optimara's. Which reminded me (because of the wooden stick marker) that the Pink Variegated one is also from the Optimara houses, although I will not swear to it being one of that particular line of breeding. They has kept things fairly simple and straight forward with emphasis on the blooms and total ease of culture. Variegated foliage needs a little different treatment and fertilizer so not for the average AV window sill grower.

I will attempt to get worthy images of the blooms when enough of them open.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Becca, I've never seen an AV so well varietaged. Thank you for sharing such a beauty. BTW, I'm back from my mother's for now. She seems to be doing better w/the Hospice care. I got your seed message. If you've started some for me ...I thank you. If not you can please send some if you still have spares and I'll attempt them myself. I'm working on catching up/cleaning up on several hundred emails so thought I'd come here to sneak a bloom peek w/my message.
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    Patsy,

Good to hear your Mom has improved some and is, at least, more comfortable. My thoughts continue for her and for you and the rest of the family.

Do what I do with an over abundance of emails, delete, delete, delete!!! I have already sown your little packet of seeds and will grow them on for you and send them down when they are big enough! No problemo!
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread