+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cannas Seed

Smile Cannas Seed

Hello, My mom has some cannas seed she collected from her plants. I have never known they had any...or just never rally noticed. Any way has anyone grown cannas for seed ?
    Is there any special pre-treatment need for them ?
    Hi Ann..

steve
    Steve
    Northport, AL

Canna seed

Hi Steve
    I plant Cannas from seed every year, it's very easy. Soak the seed over night in lemon juice. Plant several in a two or three inch deep tray, plant about one half deep. keep a little wetter than you would for other seed and keep as warm as possible. The germination rate is not great so if only a few grow don't feel you have done something wrong. They seem to grow slow at first but that is because they are putting on huge roots, I prick them out as soon as they are about half inch tall and plant in three inch pot. Some seeds germinate fast and some very slow so I just keep watering until I have as many as I need. I usually do this in Feb. or March for spring sales. They flower the first year.

Pat
    Log Cabin Pat

canna seed

Pat, I'm sure you would harvest them after they dry on the plant? Save them in paper bags?

Thanks Judi
    Judi K.

Pat's Reply

Pat's reply had a two part answer, and I felt the second topic might be of importance to you, so I created another thread under the title of Mail Order companies and managed to move the replies related to Pat's question there. Unfortunately, I removed part of Pat's answer, so please go there to view it.

And please, continue the discussion on canna lily seeds here. I want to try to plant some myself, so would love to hear your experiences.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Wink Nicking Seed

I have read that nicking the seed helps. Has anyone tried this?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread