Impatiens psittacina
    Here's a link about the parrot flower.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Vicki- We are linkless.....
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Sorry about that!
    Here it is. Interesting! and very beautiful.
    http://photowebs.blogspot.com/2006/0...ooks-like.html
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Well, I think they are quite cute. I don't see why they would be a hoax; I think they look believable. Not sure why they are so hard to acquire though...I wonder if there are any Botanical Gardens with them. Nice find Vicki !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I ran across these pictures last year. They are very unique and absolutely beautiful. Wish they were available for us.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

A little info and some history about the "Parrot Flower":

http://www.exoticrainforest.com

We have a native "Impatience" here in Indiana (as well as throughout the US and Canada) commonly called the "Jewel Weed" or Impatiens capensis, that shares some similarities with this tropical beauty. It has a history of medicinal use and is reportedly a very effective remedy for Poison Ivy. It used to grow and come back every year along the creek until someone decided to clean all the "weeds" away and now the banks are eroding at an alarming rate. Idiot. (This was not a parks or street department worker, but a tenant. I've been scattering seeds from all the plants, annuals as well as perennials that grow in my yard and around the neighborhood in an effort to re-establish some kind of plant cover, but so far, nothing has been able to stay in place long enough to root. These are very steep banks along this area of the creek).

Rebecca
    from down here in KY for the Holiday!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecaca, There is Jewel Weed that grows down at Mom's onthe bank. Remind me next year and I will see if I can find some seeds for you. I think they are a beautiful plant but my yard is too dry for them. I think they are good for any kind of itch but are particularly good for poison and usually grow near it.
    tennessee sue

One of our customers has this growing profusely at his house. He lives in a lovely spot with a creek and a pond in his steep front yard. To see them all in bloom was quite spectacular.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vicki View Post
    One of our customers has this growing profusely at his house. He lives in a lovely spot with a creek and a pond in his steep front yard. To see them all in bloom was quite spectacular.

Vicki,

Are you talking about our native "Jewel Weed" or the Tropical "Parrot Flower" from Thailand? Both are annuals, but self sow, but I wasn't not aware that any were available here in the states or anywhere other than their native country as they are a Protected Species.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Native

Oh no! NOT the parrot flower. The one you posted about, the native 'jewel weed'. There is also a large patch of them on my way to the 'little store' by my house, down on the river flats.
    Didn't mean to confuse ya!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vicki View Post
    Oh no! NOT the parrot flower. The one you posted about, the native 'jewel weed'. There is also a large patch of them on my way to the 'little store' by my house, down on the river flats.
    Didn't mean to confuse ya!

S'all right, don't take much these days!

Me
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread