+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ". . . .but baby it's cold outside"

Oh, Rebecca!

I surely hope that this winter will be milder than usual, and don't hit me when I tell you that the high for today is 75. I think it is supposed to cool back down into the 60's tomorrow, but in the meantime, as usual, everything is awfully confused here. Even my Confederate Rose is sprouting new leaves.

Dave,

Gulf Coast is Alabama and has a climate quite like the Gulf Coast of Texas and the panhandle (northern) Florida. Don't feel bad! LAS! I am just as lost with geography when it comes to your area of the country.

Cathy,

You might consider getting your mother an electric blanket. I remember growing up, there was no central heat in our home, and there was no heater in the small bedroom that my older sister and I shared. Thank goodness for electric blankets and those heavy, old fashioned quilts. Also, Walmart has some wonderful soft throws this year. Santa left some for Hunter in the stockings (not really), and he loves those soft, warm throws!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann B. View Post
    Oh, Rebecca!

I surely hope that this winter will be milder than usual, and don't hit me when I tell you that the high for today is 75. I think it is supposed to cool back down into the 60's tomorrow, but in the meantime, as usual, everything is awfully confused here. Even my Confederate Rose is sprouting new leaves. . . . . . .
    Ann,

Not to worry as I wouldn't throw anything at you for those lovely temps, I am a bit envious. Until I stop and think that have temps like your would put an end to our decidedly marked four seasons - even if spring and summer run together! I'd miss seeing the Early spring bulbs as well as the later ones bloom and there's a number of other plants that just wouldn't grow at their best if they didn't have a serious winter and the cold that comes with it. I CAN, however, do w/o the extreme cold!

Geography; Well, I have to brag a tiny bit as I have a habit of mapping where all my friends live so I have a pretty good understanding of the continental US, now the other side of the globe is another story, fortunately I have an idea about where most places are - if they'd just stop changing the names on me!

Electric Blankets, I have one but never use it (don't even know where it is or the controls) as the new, light weight velour blankets can keep one really warm. On the nights when it is bitterly cold a fiber-fill, store bought comforter does the trick, sometimes too well!

Ann, I hope you are right about this being a short winter or rather that we have an early spring. I'm just thinking to worst so I can be relieved when spring does come early! Better than being disappointed (I have enough of that!) Now if Spring 2009 doesn't stay cold and wet like last year THAT would be even better! Heck I might even get everything done that I've not been able to get to the last few years!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Those micro fiber blankets they are selling at WM really work well and they are just shy of $5 and they are quite large.
    [Mom is now in her new apt.--the heating is weird-electric in the bedroom and the control does not match the temp and a motel type heater in the living room. We bought two thermometers one for each room, so she could see the temp digitally(as she was used to with her thermostat). Even in Florida she had to have the temp at 80! So it is now and sometimes higher--gulp ! It's not healthy but she's tough to convince otherwise--she appears to agree and then does her own thing. LOL!]
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2