+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: ". . . .but baby it's cold outside"

Blog Entries

". . . .but baby it's cold outside"

Oh my goodness IS IT! Current temp here is 7F with a windchill of -13F. the wind has been howling since last night and right now its moving at 13 mph! To say "burr" would be an understatement! I don't even see a single bird out in this cold! So glad I don't have to be out in it too!

All the plants that had any green and even the ones that didn't are frozen solid. the "pond" is frozen to within inches of the bottom and that's only a supposition as I have no way of really knowing. Can only hope the goldfish are in a deep spot and down in the mud, hibernating. Will know come spring. Also a really "good" test for the hardy water lily.

I have to go down to the basement later and will have to put my coat on as the back landing will be very frigid. It stays cold in winter, but this is ridiculous! Hope my soda pop doesn't freeze and burst! Guess I could bring it in, couldn't I!

Nanook of Central Indiana! And they call this "warming"???

Rebecca

Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Ouch! That is COLD!

We were forecasted for the longest time to not have any more frost/freezes until after the new year. That changed a few days ago.

It's going to be 28-30 degrees tonight.

Rebecca, I am too spoiled. I could not withstand your cold temperatures. I know it happens for all of you, but I just cannot even think of dealing with that much cold.

Hugs and warmth to YOU!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann B. View Post
    Ouch! That is COLD!

We were forecasted for the longest time to not have any more frost/freezes until after the new year. That changed a few days ago.

It's going to be 28-30 degrees tonight.

Rebecca, I am too spoiled. I could not withstand your cold temperatures. I know it happens for all of you, but I just cannot even think of dealing with that much cold.

Hugs and warmth to YOU!
    Ann,

The older I get the less tolerant I am of cold and this extreme cold is something I have never gotten used to or been able to deal with. I'd never make it in Alaska!! Instead of dying down the wind has been coming up with some gusts that have rattled the windows, I can "deal" without THAT!

It's been up to 20 warmer at my sisters in KY and believe me, it is not going to be easy coming back to teens and lower! Wonder if sis has room for 6 kitties and a couple hundred plants. Oops, just remembered, Steve (BIL) can't have plants around because of allergens that could cause him problems. If you recall, he had the lung transplant 7-8 years ago, so he does have to be careful about things that could compromise his already compromised immune system. They do have much nicer weather that we have "up here", maybe I ought to just move to KY? Or maybe TN? The weather is even nicer there!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Yep, It's cold here too. Mom is having an awful time adapting after moving from Florida. It's just plain frigid here.
    I left my potted lilies out. Most are against the house foundation(east) ; others on south side of house with oak leaves around them or, if lucky, bubble wrap from last year. This is the first year I did not cart them into the garage. In a way, I think it's good, so they don't sprout early and get messed up like this year. But in another way, not good as I might get some frozen bulbs(I hope not).
    I have two potted BE Susans, 1 spiderwort and 1 (something with weed in the name) in the garage.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Come on down Rebecca. It is only supposed to be 11 here tonight with windchill of 0. Not much better than you. Our wind has been blowing all day 10-20 mph with heavier gusts. This has already been an unusual winter for us. We have already had 3 snows and never this early. We don't usually have this kind of cold until Jan. and Feb. I hope this doesn't mean a really bad winter in the next 2 months. But at least we have been getting a lot of rain. I won't complain about that but the mud is getting old. I noticed the lakes were still down but not as much as they were this summer. Unfortunatly I do have to go out tomorrow but I am going to change my appointment til later in the day when it will warm up a little, very little.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    I don't consider this to be a "normal" weather pattern for us, not by the old standard or the new - with global warming happening) and I am hoping it will be a short lived winter with an early spring, although I do expect spring to last longer and be cooler. Something like it was this year.

Winter weather is shifting and changing patterns around the globe, so we aren't alone in this "unusual" weather! Weather patterns period are changing. What I really don't like about this extreme cold is that the plants do not have the protection of a nice, deep blanket of snow.

I am concerned about my potted plants, especially those in smaller pots. Small seedling daylilies may not make it through and I doubt any of my potted lilies survive, especially those in small (4-5") pots. I may lose a few one of a kinds, but I have more of most over in the field bed. It's the daylilies I worry about the most. I do have the largest pots around the outer rows and smaller ones to the inside, so hopefully that will be enough to protect them. Some of the plants in the big pots are newer ones though, ones that came this summer and they are evergreen or semi-evergreens as they still have green foliage - a ghastly/ghostly color of green, but still green. I guess if they turn to mush when they thaw out I'll know which! I am glad I made the decision to leave all the foliage on all the potted plants though as it does provide some winter protection.

Guess we will all have to wait for mid to late spring to see how the plants have handled this deep freeze.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I 've eather gotten too old or too distracted with other stuff to throw my body over them like, believe me, I would have in the not so distant years past.

It is 1F in SE Michigan right now. The weather channel said that with wind chill it felt like -23F.

-23F! I am starting to feel that this is not a place for humans to live.
    Dave

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

How do you survive at 1 degree F ?????????

The sudden forecast came through and it is 28 degrees outside. I'm going to be really agitated if the garbage people do not pick up today because I was outside taking out yet another can of garbage, and it is downright COLD.

It's a dry cold, no frost anywhere and the wind is blowing hard. The 'real feel' is 21 degrees.

The small heater on the patio is working hard to keep it above 40.

This is quite a shock to the system because we have had highs in the 70's for a week or more. The high of today will be 46. I have a package arrriving at school today, but I won't try to go anywhere with the cold wind blowing like this.

I guess it is just good ole Saint Nick reminding us that it really is winter now and Santa is on his way. Like I needed reminding, huh? Hunter was up with me at 4am showing me what he wants to spend his Christmas money on... Thank goodness, he is feeling better. I note a significant improvement in his health every day now. So maybe the doc was right "Full recovery not to be expected until the end of December."

At least it is bright and sunny, but too cold to go anywhere! I'm so glad there is no school today!!!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

So Much For the "Global Warming" hoax, eh?
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Sounds like it is getting really cold up north, but I have to tell you that 33 degrees at 9am is too much for me. I would never or should I say 'could never' survive up north.

Losing power with 90 degree temps is torture, but losing power at below or near below zero temps is a terrifying nightmare!

Now, they are reporting that the high of today will be 43 degrees F. Defnitely NOT global warming and truly cold for down south.

My porch is still not enclosed in greenhouse plastic (calling my brother this week to help me do that), and my brugs had sprouted pretty new leaves. Those pretty new leaves are looking mighty droopy as we speak.

I am tempted to go out to the greenhouse and check for any freeze damage, but with temps not going above 43 today, I'll leave the door shut and wish for the best.

Low for tomorrow morning is 36 degrees, and I would just as soon keep the warmth of the earth intact for another day.

Then I see temps soar to 73 degrees on Wednesday and dropping to 69 on Christmas day. Gosh! It is hard to know what to set the thermostat on, heat or cool!

I won't complain, though! I get to spend the whole day home without going anywhere!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Now, they are reporting that the high of today will be 43 degrees F. Defnitely NOT global warming and truly cold for down south.
    Ahahaha. I remember last week or 2 weeks ago, the temperature here rose to the 40s for a day or two, and we felt SO WARM!!!

Actually I don't know where you live, Ann. I am bad with US geography, so I don't know whether Gulf Coast means Alabama or Texas (or is it both?) Somehow Alabama and Texas came to mind. Maybe you have mentioned it some time.
    Dave

The snows continue

It is still snowing here. We have well over 30" on the ground, so the plants are all snug. We are still getting 'lake effect' here, and it will back to more snow Christmas Eve, with the front that is moving this way. We have already had to have our driveway plowed 6 times, since the beginning of Dec.! Yikes! We got over 15" of snow on fri. and 15" more yesterday and today another 6".
    Looks like we are on track for a record year.
    I was just looking at the weather channel temps map for the US and the cold temps are all the way down to the Mexican border. BRRRRR!
    Stay warm!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    65 degrees today...go figure ! It does make me long for spring and I did poke around a few plants checking them out !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed_Lily View Post
    65 degrees today...go figure ! It does make me long for spring and I did poke around a few plants checking them out !
    Cathy,

That 65 will cool to about 55 by the time it gets here (prob. Sat) and but it will be 60 at my Sister's down in KY. Unfortunately it won't last long. Not in December. Does make one wonder what the rest of winter into Spring will be like. Kinda scary if ya ask me!

Came home from my trip a day early as my brother had come in for Christmas dinner so I came home with them. Weather and roads were a thousand times better than when I went down. Took an hour to get less than 20 miles from home and even after a 45 - 60 minute stop for food and rest, traffic hadn't improved a lot. It was getting better though as the temp had gone up and instead of freezing rain/ice, we had all rain. Rough for about 80 miles and then it started getting a lot better. Hope to go back down to my Sis's in the spring to help her with the Hosta I took down this trip. (Only 12 plants!)

Guess we h ad all be getting stocked up and ready for a long, hard winter. Bummer.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast