+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snow pictures

Snow pictures

Here are snow pictures for some of you that are snowless.
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by vicki; 12-12-2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Pictues to large If I knew how after being posted
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,
    It is pretty but I have never liked snow, even when I was a child. I never wanted to go play in it. We might get some more this weekend. We have already had a couple of small snows which is very early for us to have snow. Enjoy yours and don't send it southward please.LOL
    One good thing is that it is moisture into the ground. We are under a flood watch now so rain coming to us from the south this time so it will be warmer rain anyway.
    tennessee sue

Looks very pretty but that is about as close as I want to get to it - a pix on the PC

Thanks for sharing

Tonight's low will be 15F. brrrr

Rebecca-Resized

Rebecca,
    Now I hope you can enjoy seeing my pictures.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki!

I don't know about Rebecca, but I am thrilled to view your pictures!

We came so close to having snow. New Orleans received snow, lots of it. Snow all the the east of us and even southeast of us, but when it got here, it moved northward, just as predicted.

Snow is beautifu! It is gorgeous! And I have to tell you that my students and I feel that if it is going to be this cold in the morning, at least we should get a little snow.

Oooops! We didn't. But that is okay, the temps will warm up again after tomorrow morning, and there is only one more (very hectic) week of school before the Christmas holidays!

Please do take more pictures because we rarely see any snow here. It is breathtaking!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I don't mind snow, until about February. Then it is very old news, and just tedious. I know my earth is just loving all the moisture though, and even though we aren't in a drought, we do need it.
    I will be out sledding and building snowmen with the grandkids this weekend. It is the good kind of snow for that.
    Might put some lights on the pergola and the good sized spruce that is in the middle of my garden, behind the pergola. Sure didn't think about it getting full sized when I planted it there. Have been thinking maybe we'll cut it and use it for a Christmas Tree this year. Not sure on that though.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Vicki,

Is that the Spruce tree (in the very last picture) you are thinking about cutting? Don't! It looks so happy with it's coat of ermine!

Thank you so much for resizing so I could see your snow shots. The little we had here last week was nothing compared to the lake effect snows y'all get up there. Although it was awfully early for us to even be getting that little bit. But with 5-7 inches of it falling and covering the South, I suppose we can expect to see most anything from the weather these days!

Ann, sorry you missed getting any, but it's really no biggie! Plus, just think of the damage a snow could do to your in the ground Amaryllis and southern roses!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Yes, Rebecca!

As the students and I were watching the radar of the snow in the New Orleans area, I cringed when I thought about the potted Amaryllis that are still outside. They are not mulched except for the pecans leaves that have fallen in the pots and the dead leaves that have not been removed yet.

It was freezing cold this morning and my car had a thick coating of frost (about 1/4"). It almost looked like snow, but it was ice.

I know that I will lose of few of my seedlings. They would have had a better chance in the ground, but that's okay because I figure that the most cold hardy will survive. That will give me the confidence to plant them in the ground.

All will come inside during the Christmas holidays. Those in window boxes will be 'unpotted' and kept losely as dormant bulbs until time to plant/pot next spring.

Right now, I am focusing hard on hardiness. I wish to develop a hybrid that will be as hardy and pretty as Johnsonii.

That doesn't mean that I won't hybridize for unusual and pretty. It just means that my focus is on HARDY!

Hunter is still out of school, SICK! I am trying to homeschool him. Mama has been in and out of the hospital since her bypass surgery. Right now, she is back in the hospital, problems with blood clotting.

Oh, I feel so petty when I say that my pinky is still very swollen and crooked. I can barely print on paper but thank goodness I can write on the dry erase board without putting pressure on it.

Snow would have been a delight, but you are correct that the timing would be bad. Currently, I do not see any low temperatures below 40 before Christmas. I hope the forecast stays that way.

Still, Vicki! Please keep posting pictures to remind me that Christmas time is here!

Beautiful, Beautiful SNOW!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Vicki, I love the snow pictures, thanks for posting them. However I don't like the cold that comes with it. My experience with snow is coupled with memories of my youngest son's wreck in 2000. If had not been for the motorist in the other lane who stopped after hitting the black ice at the same time as my son, my son would have died . My son's car went over the mountain side and tumbled down the mountain end over end. He had internal injuries that required surgery to save his life.The other motorist called the paramedics and stayed till they got to the site of the accident. Then he left. Never found out who he was.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Dawn,
    I'm always glad when someone likes my pictures, whatever they may be of.
    I'm so sorry that they evoked bad memories for you though. Sounds as though your son had someone watching over him that day. I hope he has recovered and that all is well in his life.

This should make you smile. My grandson Troy, who will be 3 on Christmas Eve.
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,
    It looks like Troy is very happy with the puppy. Yes it did bring a smile to me. I found out today that my youngest grandson, who turned 3 in June wanted a kite for Christmas so I found one at the dollar store here in Lakeland. He will be getting a new baby sister or brother before his next Christmas.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Dawn,
    Another grandchild what a blessing. Troy just loved the puppies but they all found new homes, and he is a little sad about that. We have 2 dogs, so he couldn't keep the puppy.
    I'm sure your GS will be thrilled with his kite. They are so easy to please at that age.
    Merry Christmas!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread