+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Today's the day!

Today's the day!

Today was the major push to get all the big plants into the new g-house as the bottom is to drop out of the temps here tomorrow. The biggest key lime went in without dropping too many limes ( only 4!)

Here's the side bench for small plants and a work area for repotting:

Then brought the rest of the stuff in: The mango tree, the other large keylime trees, the palms, the ficus, the brugs, the Norfolk Island pines:

Do ya think I already need a bigger house??????

Wow, such a nice green house and plants you have there, Keylime!
    Dave

It looks great Keylime

I was wondering about the height of it when I saw it in construction but now I see

Thanks you guys! The walls are ten feet high. The first set of collar ties are about 11 feet high. The far end we raised those another foot, for the Norfolk Island Pines. Those trees touch the ties already and now that they have better light, I expect they will be growing faster. They are about 25 years old.
    The largest key lime tree is about 15 years old and I cut the top out of it when we brought it in to this house. It is prolly about 10 feet tall. In the wild they don't grow that big. At least the ones I've seen in Abaco don't. They grow more wide than tall. But I guess these "domesticated" ones grown from seed like the rich dirt and the food. They actually grow bigger limes as well.
    I did indeed cook a key lime pie today, with about 7 of the limes. Also had premium margaritas from fresh squeezed key lime juice. I took a bunch of pics of the pie etc. and will get those up soon.
    I've definitely had my vitamin C today!

Yummy! Yummy! Yummy!

Your are making me HUNGRY! Keylime Pie and Cheesecakes are among my favorites....

I adore Norfolk Pine, and I'm seriously thinking about getting one for my classroom during the Thanksgiving holidays. That way, the students, if they want can bring in little decorations.

We will see...

Your greenhouse is fabulous! Are there plans for it or did you figure out the plans on your own.

I really could use it this year, but no time, for now. Again, one more year added to my wait time for another greenhouse. But, that is okay.... Things happen, ,and thankfully there is another year!

We're looking forward to LOTS and LOTS more pictures!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Keylime

You must have been a furniture removalist in your former life to shift such big potplants

Ha Ha Abby! I have a handtruck and a strong hubby. Me? I'm 5' 4", 100 lbs soaking wet, and can't lift anything over 10 lbs by order of the back surgeon who cut on me this past August!

Ann, my hubby and I own a building company and I have been drawing house plans for 20 yrs. I drew these up with the idea of utilizing some almost new windows we took out of a house that was torn down. That way a bit of that little house lives on in this greenhouse and I got to re-use some material!

Sorry you are going to have to wait another year for your g-house. It will be worth it though when you get it. I still marvel at mine. When I walk in I just kinda stand there and look around and look, and look! I have a nice adirondack chair in there to sit and stare too. Someday I will get around to doing some actual repotting and work stuff in there!

Today we got the water lines hooked up only to discover a leak, so had to turn the water back off until that gets fixed.
    I'm also amazed at the "climate" that is being created in there. The humidity is very high. It actually was dripping water down from the ceiling at one point! I hope that isn't eventually going to cause a problem. But at least the plants are staying moist!

A handtruck and a strong hubby answer any further questions I may have except what about sharing some of the pie with us???

Wow! Such a nice greenhouse, you lucky girl! Enjoy!!! Great job
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread