+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My brugs!

My brugs!

For the THIRD time this fall my brug has spit out a full compliment of blooms! It is a container plant I bought last Christmas and kept in the old greenhouse last winter. Repotted in the spring and it seemed like it took forever to bloom again, but when it did, it just kept spitting them out from Sept on to now!
    Here's the pics:

Very nice display, that variety is a very good flowerer.

Very nice! I love brugs! Thanks for sharing.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I will have to make sure and protect my brugs from the couple of early cold nights we have. Then it's warm for another few weeks. Wished I would've covered this one.
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Keylime;

Your brug is beautiful! How did you get it to look like that? The reason I am asking is that I have 2 brugs that I bought at a master gardeners show. One is pink and one is supposed to be orange, but the flowers came out white. I had found out that the reason the flowers on the orange one came out white, is that I kept them both in my greenhouse, instead of putting them out in the sun. Another problem that, after seeing yours, probably shouldn't be, is that the trunks on mine die back (turn tan in color and shrivel) almost to the base of the plant, so I have to cut that part down. Are they supposed to need to be cut back? Out of 3 years, they only bloomed the first year. I did transplant them out of a 1 gallon pot into a 3 gallon pot their second year, but they wouldn't bloom again. I gave them Miracle Grow every year, which I now know our master gardeners don't like. This spring I plan on repotting them into 5 gallon pots, using Gardener and Bloom potting soil and Dr. Earth fertilizer, both recommended by a master gardener. Any other suggestions you could give me so I can hope to have my brugs flower as beautifully as yours?

Thanks!
    Linda
    Linda-So. Oregon, Zones 6/7

I've moved the big brug into the new greenhouse for the winter and it is pretty much doing as you said yours did- getting the brown dead end stems. I have cut it back some, but we shall see how it comes out by spring. It is not producing any blooms now.
    On the other hand, I had two small plants that I had planted outside in the flowerbed two years ago and they had never done anything, so I dug them up and repotted to bring inside the new green house this winter. They have tripled in size and are very very healthy looking. About two feet tall now, but no blooms yet. We'll see about those this spring too I expect.
    I really don't know what to tell you about the sun thing. Mine lived in fairly bright sun outside this summer, with only shade in the really hot afternoon. It does like a lot of light.

+ Reply to Thread