+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Computer Crashed. . .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaylilyDawn View Post
    Rebecca,
    My hard drive enclosure I had my 160 GB drive in failed. The drive survived with no problems and is healthy. I would like to send it to you. It is a IDE drive so it can you in your tower using the old ribbon cable. I will put it in the box I saved from the last hard drive I bought. I get paid on the 28th and will send it then. I hope that you will enjoy using it.
    Huh?

Sorry, my internal computer is not fully charged today, so "Whatcha talkin about, Willis? Is this instead of the the external or in addition too? If instead of, where can I find detailed instructions on how to install it? Plus will this increase the speed of my current cpu?

Sorry I'm so dense today. Long story.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Hi Rebecca,
    It will be instead of the 80 GB hard drive. I don't think it will increase the speed, that is usually done with RAM or memory. If you go to this link, it has step by step directions:
    http://static.tigerdirect.com/html/hdinstall.html . The drive has already been formated so you will not have to do that or mess with the BIOS. You can also google installing a hard drive steps .
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Blog Entries
    And then what happens to all the data on my current hard drive? How do I access it? Transfer it? Remember, I am a computer idiot and seriously electronically challenged.

I didn't get that external CD burner afterall - long story about what happened to it.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

After the hard drive is installed , you click on My Computer and see both hard drives. It will possibly be given a name of D or E or F depending on what other drives are installed . You can transfer data to the new hard drive by dragging and dropping a file or right click and choose Send TO from the little drop down Menu. If you go to www.worldstart.com there is a section called Computer tips. Read some of them and they will help you become more computer experienced. I signed up for their computer newsletter and learned quite a bit from it. They even have a tutorial on building your own computer. If you will send me a Private message with your email address I can send you a text file with the links to each step of the tutorial so you would not have to search for it.

Blog Entries
    Dawn,

Cool! I thought I would not be able to yse the old hard drive, for some reason I thought it had to be removed! Told ya I wasn't very smart when it come to the technical part of computers!

If all I have to do is drag and drop, I can do that!

Another question is what if I don't have any documentation that came with my computer?That was something the tiger direct tutorial said I had to read for information on doing something or another.

Maybe I can get my brother to come help me put the new HD in, He's the electrical engineer/tech-person in the family.

Here's another "dummie" question; How can an enclosure fail? I was under the impression it wasn't much more than a box that held the hard drive and had a couple of ports for hooking it up to the main computer.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I don't know why the the encolusre failed. Yesterday morning I was sitting at the computer when I heard the sound of the USB when you safely remove a USB stick,the lights that are on the front of the enclosure showing power and activity went out , the fan on the enclosure quit and turning the on /off switch on and off several times didn't correct the problem. I rebooted the computer and still no power or activity lights so the enclosure is dead.

Putting a new hard drive in doesn't need documentation . It is a straight forward install of a part you are adding. Your brother shouldn't have any problems installing it. Once you get it in the tower , you are good to go.

Blog Entries
    Dawn,

Thank you for all your help and the "new" hard drive.

I also want to search that site and the text you sent on adding more memory or RAM. I am wondering if I can take the memory card from the Dell and use it in this one and if both can be used at the same time or if you have to replace the slower one. Would also like to find out how to keep this mahine running at top speed.

After an hour or so it gets slow and after 3 it really slows down. Re-booting helps some, but not a lot. I realize a lot of my speed issues are due to using dial-up service, but can't fix that right now, soon though!

Next project is a CD Burner, and this machine may never have one. I will have to get something to transfer files from this machine to a new one should I be able to get one. Perhaps a Jump Drive would work? Something else to research!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

It may depend on the motherboard in your new computer if you can or can not use the RAM from the Dell. Sometimes Dell used parts that only Dell uses to keep everything all Dell. If the new motherboard has an open RAM channel you will need to find out which speed it uses. I need you to use this little program I have that will give you lots of information about what is in your computer as far as the Motherboard, RAM, CPU and other things. It is called CPU-Z . I will send it and all you need to do is open and run it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaylilyDawn View Post
    It may depend on the motherboard in your new computer if you can or can not use the RAM from the Dell. Sometimes Dell used parts that only Dell uses to keep everything all Dell. If the new motherboard has an open RAM channel you will need to find out which speed it uses. I need you to use this little program I have that will give you lots of information about what is in your computer as far as the Motherboard, RAM, CPU and other things. It is called CPU-Z . I will send it and all you need to do is open and run it.

Cool!

On thing I have noticed about this machine is that it has a folder marked "DELL" and I didn't add it! This machine was built with spare parts so who knows what all it has in it!

My computer is a mutt!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I have to wait till I get another full paycheck beore I can send the drive. This one had to be used to pay an unexpected home repair(toilet seatbroke). I will let you know when I get it sent off to you.

Roberta,
    Here is the link to the page that has the CPU-Z program where you can download it from. This program can give you information on your RAM, Motherboard and CPU. It is a very handy program to have.
    http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/5436

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5