+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Computer Crashed. . .

Blog Entries
    First of all, Sue, 20 gigs is what I had on my HP and I hadn't even used half of it!, but being able to add on the additional 80 gigs would be great. Hope Thomas says it will be compatible! Wow a total of 100 Gigs would be so totally awesome!

Cathy, just how does one go about "enclosing" a hard drive and all? Us computer illiterates need things laid out!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca, if you go to TigerDirect.com, and search for "hard drive enclosures" you can see what they look like . Basically they are a box with a hook up area for the power and the drive connection that is enclosed in a cover to keep dust out of it. It has its own power supply and can connect to the computer with USB connection. The one I have is sitting on the desk right now next to the tower. The brand on it is Ultra. It came with a driver disc for Windows 98 if you are still using that. If you have firewire capability , it can connect that way. Mine even has its own fan to keep the hard drive cool.
    Check this link for what a hard drive enclosure looks like:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3&sku=ULT33051

Mine looks just like this one.
    Last edited by DaylilyDawn; 11-22-2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: To add link.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

It's been A LOOONG time since this topic was fresh, but have you considered "freecycle"?

This topic was started on Oct 29,2008 , Stone so it is still a current topic. To find out how recent a topic is, check the left side of your screen where your forum name is, the date the topic or post was made is above your name. The date on the right side of the screen is the date the poster joined Landspro forums and number of posts made by that member.

Blog Entries
    Stone,

Oddly enough, I hadn't even thought of Free-cycle and I'm a member of the local group! But the one Sue is sending that Thomas made for me will be perfect! I may look into the local Free-cycle group for other electronics I might need or want, I do use them for other things!

Had a message from Sue this morning and the new CPU is on the way and should be here on Wednesday afternoon. Will take me a day or so to down load and up load programs and applications, but I will be back on from home by the week end. I'll have lots to do though so I may not be "real vocal" until I get caught up.

I WILL be posting a few seed auctions on Tinker's Auctions right away so I can start generation some income again; kitties always need food or litter or both ya know!

Cathy, I've been looking at various things on Tiger Direct, but I have a question about size of the enclosure needed and would this then become an external HD? As far an an OS, I'll be using Office-XP, Pro I think. I'm done with the older versions, none, not even Win 2000 will be suported my MicroSoft after the end of the year. I do have one, perhaps not to smart question, once I get the drive, house it, etc, how do I use it and access it through the main CPU? I would definitely use it for all down loaded programs/applications and my files. (As well as backing up to CD once I can add a burner). Cathy, you can write to me privately since this is more or less item specific or we can start a new thread, PC for Dummies!

All for now,

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Hey, Stone! Welcome back and thanks for reminding us about freecycle.

Rebecca, You keep saying Cathy, but are you sure that you are not confusing her with Dawn? I know that I have done that in the past.

USB hard drives have a great advantage when it comes to backups. Without that, I would have never recovered a lot of files during my last computer death.

USB hard drives are a lot easier to plug it into the system than to figure out how to master/slave the hard drives and set them up appropriately. Take my word for it. That can be a nightmare if you don't know what you are doing.

Rebecca, It sounds like you are on your way to a great solution!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Rebecca the size of the hard drive is 3.5. That is what mine is. The drive shows up as a drive under the My computer . It hooks up by plugging in a USB cord that comes with the enclosure. Mine is hooked up that way. It sits on the desk right beside the tower. It has its own seperate power supply too so if the computer shuts down , the drive is still powered up.
    The drive enclosure I linked to in the above post will take you to the page that shows the drive enclosure that I have.

Dawn, The mother board will not support a SATA hard drive, only an ATA one. Sorry about that. It is Windows XP but not Office I don't think. We neither one have Office. But at least it is an upgrade. It should arrive Wednesday according to UPS. Maybe we can come up with other upgrades in the near future but at least now Rebecca can get on line from home.
    tennessee sue

OK Sue, them Rebecca will need a Hard drive enclosure tha will accept a SATA drive. I will check Tiger Direct to see if they have one. Th enclosure I have accepted a IDE drive.

I have reseached the hard drives enclosures at Tiger Direct and at New Egg.com. Here are the results:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...661&CatId=2780

Newegg.com
    Galaxy METAL GEAR 3506UAS-BLACK 3.5" Black USB 2.0 External Enclosure - Retail Item Number is N82E16817716055. Price is $19.99 plus shipping.

Galaxy METAL GEAR 3502UAS-SILVER 3.5" Silver USB 2.0 External Enclosure - Retail Item Number is N82E16817716065 Price is $22.99 plus shipping

BYTECC ME-747SU-SL Aluminum 3.5" Silver USB 2.0 External Enclosure - Retail Item Number is
    N82E16817145046 Price is $24.49 plus shipping

Dawn, Will that work? I went to eBay and found several ranging from $1.00 and up. Would you please go there and look at them and give me the item numbers of ones that would work and I will see if I can get one for a better price?
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sue salley View Post
    Dawn, Will that work? I went to eBay and found several ranging from $1.00 and up. Would you please go there and look at them and give me the item numbers of ones that would work and I will see if I can get one for a better price?
    Sue,

You do NOT have to do this! I can wait until I can get one myself and a CD burner and maybe even a new camera all from the same source - got my eye on a nice Kodak Z1015

I am on pins and needles today, waiting for the Ups Man to get here; every time I even think I hear something out front I run to the door - even though I know UPS doesn't generally deliver here until mid afternoon!

This will be my last post until my new machine is up and running. And then I will have a couple of images to share of the African Violets that grow in my 55 gallon Terrarium. I have managed to make a few Zip files and get them saved as drafts in my Gmail account, which means out of this machine and onto Google's servers! Would like to do more, but it takes 10 minutes for this old thang to load even a small file and most of the time it drops the connection before it finishes. That means I have to start all over again.

Better hit "enter" before it drops the connection - AGAIN!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I would not buy a hard drive enclosure off Ebay since the person selling it was someone I knew.If they bought to use, then why are they selling it? Those are the cheapest prices I could find when I did the search. If Rebecca can wait till after the Christmas holidays I will order the enclosure and then ship the drive to her in the enclosure. Right now it is a little tight but I can do that after the holidays. Rebecca do you want to do that?

Blog Entries

Talking

I'm baackkk!

The computer is working like a charm, a lucky charm and it is so good! I do need to get a USB Hub for it so I can connect everything, but the CPU runs really well and I'm getting used to Win XP. Haven't down loaded anything other than my trusty Firefox yet, so I'll be busy over the next few days doing that and getting things set up the way I want them. Might have to go to my various on line albums and download some images so I can do some auctions. For now, I'm just tickled to have a real, working computer again.

Sue you are such a true friend and I just love you to pieces!

Dawn, I don't mind waiting, but you don't have to do all that! Just sending the hard drive would be a blessing.

I might go to Free-cycle and see if anyone has a CD Burner they don't need - an external one that is. After the holidays!

Guess that's all I have for now. Ann, glad to hear your Mom is doing well since her surgery and that Hunter is finally feeling better. I know you must be very relieved. God's Speed to them both for me.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca, Good to see you "back to normal."

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast