+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Computer Crashed. . .

Blog Entries

Unhappy Computer Crashed. . .

rolled over and died! Beyond repair, so don't worry if y'all don't hear from me anytime soon. I priced a re-conditioned Dell (cpu only) at $400.00, might as well be four million! Oh well, nothing I can do about it now.

I'll check in from the library when I can.

Love ya all!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

Does the monitor still work? I ask because those are too expensive to ship.

Also, I have a couple of older Compac's in my classroom, but the monitor cables were destroyed by BAD students. Long story, so won't try to explain...

At the start of the school year, year was a huge room full of computer systems, monitors, etc., etc., but they are now gone.

Many institutions trash older computers nowadays, so you might call around your local schools, churches, etc and ask if they have any sitting to the side that they wish to have removed.

The only problem is that most will have internet connections rather than dialup, but a dialup modem is relatively inexpensive compared to a new computer.

I'll ask around and see if any more are being 'trashed', but with shipping costs, it would be great if you could find a source locally.

Gonna miss you, but please make sure you stop by as often as possbible.

Hugs, My Friend!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

At the library today so I coyuld at least check in.

Monitor, keyboard and mouse work, but the cpu is a gonner. I'll just have to wait until disability comes through, not really anything else I can do. I hate it.

I have thought about asking around, but even that would take resourses I don't have. . . . I hope my neighbor gets her system back on line as I am not looking forward to having to walk to the library when it gets bad out.

Miss you guys already.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

So sorry to hear that Rebecca

We will miss your informative writings

Rebecca, a CPU is really inexpenisve if it is the porcessor that has crashed. TigerDirect.com sells them as well as Newegg.com. A good size one will run about 40-50.00 dollars
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

O-kay, so I get a replacement cpu from a friend in Georgia and the internal modem doesn't work with dial-up. So I spend $$ I really didn't have on an external modem. Then I find that the computer itself just will not hold a connection.

so I still don't have a real working computer and either go to the library or use my neighbor's, which is where I am right now. Too darned cold to walk up town to the library! Burr! and Double BURR!

Now the good news!

Dear friend and "partner in crime" (JK!), Tenn_Sue is having her nephews build one for me! Can you imagine!!! If all goes well I could have it up and running by next week!

Life w/o one has been difficult to adjust to, to say the least! I will have my work cut out for me though as EVERYTHING was lost when my old HP crashed. Lots of programs and applications to down load again and although I can play around with making new images on the current machine, I can not burn anything to a CD. I do have older CD's with some base infor on it and I have been doing some daylily record up dates and printing them out. I'm way behind in my emails though so will have to take care of that first and email a couple of places about getting replacement down loads for programs I did have. Enough to keep me busy until the end of the year!

Well that's the latest.

HUGS to ALL!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca, I have an 80GB hard drive I can donate if you would like it.

Wow! Kudos to Sue! What a wonderfully nice thing to do.

Aren't we lucky to have friends like Sue, Dawn and all the rest of you's!!!!!!!

I'm sure glad I'm back, I've missed you all.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Rebecca, I know how you feel. Nowadays without a computer is like disconnected from the world!

Hope you will get the new computer soon.
    Dave

Computer update. Dear nephew has got the computer completed and tested. This one works for sure and he says it runs good. I had planned to ship it today but sorry Rebecca I will not be getting out today. We have about 2 inches of snow this morning and cold, cold for us. It will not reach the 30's today and tonight is supposed to be 17. Very unusual for us esp. this time of year. It has been a long time since I have seen this much cold or any snow before Thanksgiving.
    The computer will be shipped as soon as I can get out along with some other goodies. So we will soon have our Rebecca back. I sure miss you GF.
    tennessee sue

So glad that you are not going out in the cold Sue. I still have the 80GB drive if Rebecca needs it. I just put it in a hard drive enclosure but have not put anything on it yet.

Blog Entries
    Yes, Vicki, it is nice to have friends that will actually help you out in times of need.

Dawn, I've been thinking about that 80 Gig hard drive you have; I assume it is an internal drive. I'll have to find out from Thomas (via Sue) if there is a space available to add more hard drive to this hand built CPU - Sue would you ask, please?

Sue I don't blame you one bit for not getting out in the snow and cold, I wouldn't either! We've had snow all around us, but none here that I have seen. Northern IN has really been getting hit hard by lake effect snow. Winters they are a changin, folks.

Dave, the felling is right on, especially when most all of my friends ARE all around the globe! Then add in that I do all of my Daylily business on line, I am really "cut off".

But not for much longer!

(Using neighbor's computer now, and not always available - kids are always on line as soon as they get home from school. Makes it hard when I can't get out until it warms up to above freezing! LOL!)

Ciao 4 now!
    Rebecca

I U ALL!
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Yes Rebecca, it is an internal SATA Drive. Right now I am using it to write this. When my grandson goes to his dad's place next weekend I have a 300 GB hard drive to install and then I will reformat this one so I can then take it out and send to you.The one I have in the hard drive enclosure is the 120 GB I had in my HP before we built this computer last Christmas So I have a choice of drives to install Windows XP Pro on. I can then reformat this drive .

Dawn,
    That would be so nice of you to send that bigger hard drive to Rebecca. We could only find a 20GB on short notice to get this thing together. I will ask Thomas if there is a plce to put both or maybe install the bigger one for now. It isn't anything fancy but it does the job. Now if the snow will go away. And it would warm up. I never liked cold and now I like it even less. It doesn't help my joints any.
    tennessee sue

The 80 GB is A SATA drive Sue , Please ask Thomas if the motherboard supports SATA drives. If the mother board doesn't support it, you would need a hard drive enclosure that connects by USB then. I just put the IDE 120GB hard drive in a hard drive enclosure and hooked it up via USB. Pleas let me know if it does support SATA.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 4 5 LastLast