+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brrrr.... Cold Front!

Brrrr.... Cold Front!

I truly did not need this, but here it is... A early cold front that will be pushing near frost/frost into our area.

I have buckled up the greenhouse, and turned on the floodlights for the seedlings. Epi's, Hoya's and Christmas cactus are temporarily moved inside the patio.

The rest will have to fend their own on this one because I simply do not have the time....

I think that everything will be okay, and if they aren't, well, there is always another year.

Hippeastrum seedlings are still outside. I don't even have time to cover them, but these seedlings are more than two years old, so maybe dormancy will trigger some blooms.

There comes a time when you have to let them test their hardiness, so I guess that I am forced to do that,

Hugs!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Flood lights have been left on in the greenhouse for the past two days and nights. Temperatures went below 40 each morning.

This morning, when I checked, the temperature was 33 degrees and YES, there was a heavy frost on my car.

It was dark when I left this morning and almost dark when I arrived home. I made a quick trip outside to check the tropicals on the back porch, the coleus in pots under shrubs and everything looks okay except one coleus that was bitten badly and the Grandiflora leaves have turned dark burgundy.

This was an early cold front. Actually, it is about 30 days early, and there was nothing that I could do about it because I am so consumed at school.

I am pleased that the majority of my Brugs are just fine with more blooms in the process of forming.

Saturday is the Robotics competition, so hopefully life will get back to normal on the homefront. Hunter is very sick with mono, so this is not helping the time situation.

I'm doing the best that I can....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Amazingly, everything survived!

I suspect that it has to do with overhead protection. When I was going to Master Gardener training, they talked about pine trees being a protection from light frosts. Perhaps that is the case, but in any event, despite my being in a colder prone little valley, everything was okay.

This amazes me because there was definitely frost on my car window shields. Go figure...

It is now that time of the year when I watch the forecasts from accuweather. com. They give a 15 day forecast and believe it or not, I need the extra time.

Hunter is stlll out of school and very sick, so now I work with him to catch up on his school work.

Hugs!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread