+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phalaenopsis Orchid in Bloom!

Blog Entries

Cool Phalaenopsis Orchid in Bloom!

My only Phal is in bloom! Well, actually it has been for a couple of weeks now, but I was only able to get any images recently!

It isn't anything fancy, but a beautiful white, fairly large flowers too. The inflorescent started to grow in mid-summer and I worried all summer that one of those crazy tree rats would get to it and damage it. Bless their little furry butts, they left it alone. After it blooms and rests for a bit I'll sprinkle on some all purpose, slow-release fertilizer and see if I can get it to re-bloom under the lights.

Ain't she purdy!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

That IS beautiful! Is that a passion flower vine behind it?
    My orchids have not bloomed this year yet. They were in bloom when I got them about a year ago and not in good pots. I repotted them and I think that set them back, but they are healthy.
    I assume you bring yours in for the cold weather?

Very nice bloom and beautifully presented.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keylime View Post
    That IS beautiful! Is that a passion flower vine behind it?
    My orchids have not bloomed this year yet. They were in bloom when I got them about a year ago and not in good pots. I repotted them and I think that set them back, but they are healthy.
    I assume you bring yours in for the cold weather?
    The "plant" in the background is a Japanese Maple Tree, one of the taller growers. Only place with decent light and a good background! Yes, both of my orchids come inside for winter and go in the basement light garden. They don't go outside until June when the nights are consistently above 50F. they used to hang in the old Red Bud Tree until it died on me and (eventually) fell down.

Years ago, decades really, I grew a lot of orchids, mostly the Phals and a few others and even did some hybridizing. Had several very nice seedlings finally bloom, and now I don't have any of them. The only orchid I have left from all the ones I used to have and actually one of the first ones I ever got is my little inter-generic cross, that little guy is 36+ years old! Right now I can't remember it's name! It is a cross between Ascocentrum and Neofinita (?) It blooms every summer for me, though not so good this year - didn't have the right light.

The Phal came from Wal-Mart, of all places. If they did well for me here, I'd like to have a few more, but until I can set up a stable environment for them upstairs, that ain't gonna happen. Plus, to get good ones, they ain't cheap! There are a couple of specie Phals I'd love to have again and perhaps a couple of Papiopendilums. (Lady Slipper Orchids).

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca
    for sharing that beautiful close up with us

love the orchid and your photography!

and wow! You have been doing gardening for so long!
    Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganDave View Post
    love the orchid and your photography!

and wow! You have been doing gardening for so long!
    Dave!

I HAVE been gardening a long time, since I was a child, in fact! Let's see how many years would that be. . . .more than 50 years! And I've been a "shutter bug" nearly as long!

My first camera was a little Brownie Hawkeye! Been through the 110 phase and the panorama stage (still have that little jewel of a camera) and the 35ml SLR, and I still have that camera that I had really honed my photographic skills with. Also learned close up photography with it, now that was a chore when everything was still done with lenses extensions and tripods. Entering the digital world really renewed my interest in photography and my dream camera would be the newest 35ML SLR Digital! Way out of my price range for now, but a new camera is in the not to distant future. I love my little Samsung, but the new one may be a Kodak!

Someday I'll have to begin the search for the "right" digital to meet my needs.

In the meanwhile, here's another close up of the Phal!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Oh Rebecca ! She's a beauty !

The best I can hope for with my orchids is that I don't kill them. Flowers would be beyond all imaginings !

I had a Brownie Hawkeye--gee, I can still see the little red circle that showed the photo number. I remember the gray push button. Sigh !

I hope your little beauty gives you reblooms !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread