+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bring your houseplants in !

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Bring your houseplants in !

Just a reminder...depending on zone .....it's time to debug them and bring them in !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed_Lily View Post
    Just a reminder...depending on zone .....it's time to debug them and bring them in !
    Cathy,

I got all but a few of mine in week end before last and the few remaining ones will come in today. No noticeable bugs with the exception to a few spiders, which I leave with their host plant as they will take care of any critters that missed my inspection!

Found new homes for a good many and STILL ran out of room!

All of the "bulb" plants are being rested w/o direct lighting and all but a few cacti/succulents made it to the basement this year.

The Apricot Double Tropical Hibiscus is STILL blooming and the regenerated growth on my 30 year old deep rose-pink Double is setting buds as is the small standard I started from it before the "incident". All is well in the basement light garden.

Oh and my last Phalaenopsis Orchid is blooming! Will try to get pictures today to show.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

My daughter,nephew and I got down and straightened up the basement today and got all our plants in and organized a little better than last year. It will make them easier to care for. It is a job but my litttle wagon sure makes it easier since it will come right into the basement. It was just in the nick of time. Already down to 36 and light frost predicted for tonight. I ain't ready for this.
    tennessee sue

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed_Lily View Post
    it's time to debug them and bring them in !
    How do I debug them? I brought my amaryllises in. Most of them have gravels covering the top part, and I don't see any bugs, but on the pot where I have the baby amaryllises, I only covered them with mulch, and I can see bugs! Yuck!

They are tear-drop size, gray and have many legs. Do I have to debug them one by one? Or is there some kind of spray that I can use?

Thanks!
    Dave

Blog Entries
    Those bugs sound like sow bugs(aka pill bugs). They like decaying matter like mulch. They also like moisture and usually perish indoors or survive within the pot but not in any noticable quantities. You could probably just wipe them all off with a damp paper towel--they are pretty slow.
    If you have a warm day and can take each plant outside or if can just use the garage, I'd buy some Schultz Houseplant insect killer with Pyrethrins or Houseplant insecticidal soap(mild stuff with pyrethrins), and spray the plants(including leaf undersides). No need to drench however.
    Also, b4 I brought them in, I pulled out tree leaves and any vegetative matter on the soil surface that did not belong there(because critters like to hide under stuff on the soil surface).
    Hope that helps.

Guess what I found growing in my poinsettia that I had brought in ? Corn ! I kid you not--photos to follow.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    "Pill bugs" are more oval in shape and have a uniformly segmented "armur" that allows them to curl up when touched/disturbed. The "tear-drop" shape suggests these might be a silverfish of some sort or the larval stage of the fungus gnat.

In any case, spraying with a mild soap solution (Ivory or Murphy's Oil Soap) would be preferable over using an "insecticide", especially on young seedlings. Removing the mulch may end the problem as well.

You didn't say how big/small these critters were, but if big enough to count legs they can't be too small.

Just my 2 worth!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread