+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Robotics

Robotics

Hi, Everyone!

I look back over the past year and my sponsorship of our school's Robotics teaam and I say to myself, "How did I ever get roped into this? It's just "Plane Crazy"!

Well, kick-off was yesterday. We have the game layout, the rules, etc., etc., etc.... And YEP! It's "Just Plane Crazy"! is the name of this year's competition.

Actually, this year's competition looks like a lot of FUN! It's very appropriate considering the recent controversary over the refueling tanker's bid.

If you are curious as to what it is that we are up against in the next 7 weeks, click on the following link:

http://www.bestinc.org/MVC/FileManagement/list?dir=25

Then click on the link for the game specific rules for "Just Plane Crazy"!

We are looking for sponsors if anyone wishes to donate tools, money, etc. Just send me a PM to learn how you can get involved.

Hugs to ALL!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh dear ! I had a whole post and I was at the end and --poof, gone ! I must have hit a wrong combo of keys !
    Anyway I was surprised that it was BEST time already ! And, mentioned that gathering the items on the material list looked like a project in and of itself !

I then went on to give my 2 cents about the tanker deal since Boeing has a facility and subcontractor here in Wichita and we have gotten an earful from the poliliticians/union workers. Seems like about the time I was saying Boeing is a whiner, my post poofed. (Hmmm..).

Keep us posted on the BEST competition prep ! The teachers and volunteer mentors are the BEST !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Yeah!

We won that deal, fair and square, but now it is up in the air and it will be awhile for the contract to be finalized AGAIN.

So, now this game becomes more personal to those in my city. I showed the model plane that is to be built by the robot to my classes today, and they were very curious (impressed), to say the least.

Anyway, I am THOROUGHLY excited. It's about manufacturing which is my prior life, so I feel right at home. And this year, we incorporate a computer module rather than being all mechanical which gave me fits last year.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Competition was today. It is our second year, and the first time to have a robot completed enough to compete.

Don't laugh, okay? It's really good that we did as well as we did. We came in 14th place out of 20. It was a tough competition, and there were schools that have competed for several years that placed lower than us.

I am proud of my students, and we now have a working robot to demonstrate. We learned from mistakes and have a lot more learning to do in the year to come.

Tonight, I plan to sleep. Precious sleep... Tomorrow, I start potting up the hippeastrum that are busting at the seams.

We are back to twice a month for Robotic meetings rather than 5-6 days a week.

I've gotta tell you that I am MIGHTY tired!

Hugs to all and thanks for your patience. I have a lot of catching up to do!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh Ann ! I don't know how you do it. Bless your heart--what a treasure for those kids !
    I went to an info session about Robotics at work but just could not commit at this juncture--sure looked fun though !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Hey! Hey! Hey!

I just received the official notification that we won an award.

Aztec Maritime Services - Blood, Sweat & Duct Tape Award!!!!!!!!!!!

How appropriate! There wasn't any actual duct tape, but a lot of last minute numerous modifications so that we would have a working robot just so that we could compete.

And I do mean the very last minute...

They should add zombie to that list. I had very little sleep last week, and I'm still recouping.

BTW, our robot is named Crazy Cat (after Just Plane Crazy). Our team is RoboCats.

Cathy, It is very worth while to teach these students to use soldering irons, jig saws, pvc cutters, scroll saws, drills, band saws and you name it.

I am still recouping...

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I took lots and lots of pictures. A University of South Alabama took some as well, but I haven't seen those yet.

I thought I would post a few...
    Attached Images      
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

More...

My eyes are so tired that everything is blurry, despite eyeglasses...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, congratulations! You and the students must feel good. I can imagine the last-minutes rush, and it's great to know that the robot worked!

It is very worth while to teach these students to use soldering irons, jig saws, pvc cutters, scroll saws, drills, band saws and you name it.
    sigh. I should be your student.
    Dave

Hugs, Dave!

I would love it if you were my student.

It was critical this year that our robot be able to compete. This allowed us to go into the 'pit' area where all of the teams have tables to house the various teams robots. Last year, we did not compete, so we weren't allowed in there. This year, we were able to walk around, take a good look at the other team's robots, compliment them on various great ideas and ask questions about portions of their design.

Today, I met with the school newspaper sponsor and the yearbook sponsor and loaded a copy of my pictures onto their disk drives.

The lighted school bulletin board will display our achievements, the website will have news of our accomplishments, and I have many thank you letters to write.

In the meantime, I think you can say that we finally got our feet on the ground and NEXT year, we will be better prepared to compete.

After the fact, it is FUN! But I have to tell you that I am still mighty TIRED!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread