+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cactus/Succulent-unknown softy

Blog Entries

Cactus/Succulent-unknown softy

Bought this tiny little thing at WalMart. I guess it is technically a succulent. It has no spines and is very soft to the touch. I think that's why I bought it. Plus it was in teeny tiny probably 1 inch pot. It has grown and today I bought cactus soil to transplant it to larger 'digs'. Irony..buy a 99 cent plant and spend $3.50 for a big bag of cactus soil to repot it. I think I have 2 other cactus that could benefit from that big bag of soil.
    Here is the succulent. If by some statistically improbable chance you know who it is, do let me know !
    Attached Images  
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Don't know, but sure is cute.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Could it be a sedum? Is it thick and fleshy?
    Dave

The plant looks rather young to me..
    It could be 'Cotyledon tomentosa'
    aka Bear Paw.
    ( don't believe statistics )
    Jaap

Hi, JaapM! Thanks, and welcome to Landpsro!

Cathy,

When I first saw the image, I recognized it as one that is often sold here, usually in group plantings. I have no idea what the name is.

It reminds me of a Kalanchoe that I have had before, only that one had dark, chocolate colorations on the outer edges of the leaves. I believe mine was Kalancoe tomentosa, the Panda Plant.

Whatever it is, it is quite neat and such a great price. The great thing about (thornless) succulents is that many do not grow overly fast, so they can be planted in group settings in a single container for a fantastic display of unusual characteristics.

So, take advantage of that soil and pot you purchased and add a few more 99 cent succulents.

FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    JaapM- I do believe you are correct. It is, at the least, very likely the genus Cotyledon but I'd also venture to agree it probably is Bear Paw ! Thanks ! That's neat !

About that soil. It held water like a sponge ! I had planted in a plastic pot and after hours of no drainage and a clearly heavier pot, I actually squeezed the pot and water came out ! Being pressed for time and not able to get another soil quickly enough, I unpotted the plant and repotted into dry soil(the same bag) in a clay pot and no water. I hope the plant is OK b/c I know overwatered succulents will just explode. So far it looks OK.
    It is Miracle Gro Cactus, Palm and Citrus soil. I searched on the internet and it is Scott's brand but also possible Hyponix(which has a bad reputation as a potting soil). It is clearly peaty but with very little of anything else.
    It is going back to the store and I'll buy cactus soil from the nursery.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread