+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flooding

Blog Entries

Flooding

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/28283414.html

and this isn't even Ike...yet. I don't know what it is and Ike rain bands are expected Sunday, so imagine what this will be by then.
    The link refers to the West side. That's where I live. I couldn't get to work as water was up to wheel wells at the north intersection(Central and 119th). I went south on Maple, trying to get to Ridge to drive up north to 21st but traffic was backed all the way south to Maple. You'll note these street names in the linked story. I am now watching the pond rise and the water in my yard rise and hope they don't meet. So far water around the house has not reached the siding. I will go out and do some bailing. Here are some photos. I learned not to use a flash in the rain.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    That tree does not belong in the pond. The water is up from the pond the about 7 feet.
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Here is one end of the pond near me. You can see the rate at which the water is flowing into the drain as well as the whitewater created by the water quickly flowing over a large section of what is usually exposed large rocks. The interesting thing is that the street draining water and pond water are flowing in opposite directions(I'm sure the street drains into the pond).
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Here is what I am watching. Getting too close for comfort.
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    time to look for a bucket
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Whew ! Ask and ye shall receive ! I wanted sandbags...I got sandbags delivered to my door !
    Saw on the internet that the city was giving out sandbags at 10 locations...one was around the corner. I found the truck. The driver said he'd follow me and come to my house(all I told him was the street not the addy) BUT he got detoured at the end of that street at a large (doctor's--actually my doctor) house on water. A woman said, 'Oh, the doctor got lots of sand bags last time'-- implying I'd get none. I went home and was a little perturbed. But, I had a little glimmer of hope that the driver would try to find me. I heard the truck brakes and went oustide. He was driving down a nearby dead end road so I knew he'd be back. I stood at the end of the driveway and waved. They waved and stopped. The driver told me he'd saved bags for me. Must have been 15 or so ! They were willing to take to the backyard but I had them dump them next to the drive. I asked their names so I can put in good word !
    The bags are all in place now !
    At this writing we have had 12 inches of rain since midnight.

Blog Entries
    B4 the sand bags came from heaven above...I had nothing except my imagination. I decided to use Cotton Bol Compost bags as sandbags...glad I stocked up during a summer sale. After the sandbags came, I kept the compost bags there as well. The rain is slowing and the water receding/absorbing. However, it will rain thru the night. We are on a fine line as to eother no rain or 'inches' of rain tomorrow.
    More pics....
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    more pics......
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    more pics.......

Initially, this morning I was trying to stay dry but soon gave that up and even gave up flip-flops and went barefoot. My proud moment was climbing a ladder to unplug a downsput that had created a gusher over one end(so much for the $80 we paid gutter cleaners a month back).
    Attached Images  

Wow! Living in Michigan, I have never encountered situation like this. I had to look at the pictures a few times to tell what the sand bags do.

Hope the water will receede soon. Keeping you guys in my heart.
    Dave

Oh, NO! Cathy!

Unfortunately, the sand bag thing is not new to me. Fortunately, I have never had to use them, but my neighbor has, and he floods anyway.

Did I read that correctly? 12" of rain in less than a day? YEP! That can cause flooding, BIG TIME!

I look at your pictures, and I feel so fortunate that my home is built on ground that is higher than my back yard and neighbor to the west of me. It makes me more forgiving of when he does things that cause the water to back up in my yard.

I have never had to use sand bags. Yes, I have had a couple of inches of water in the porch area, but fortunately, no more than that...

Cathy, you don't need any rain from H. Ike! You have had enough, that is for sure!

Dave, When houses flood due to heavy rains or whatever, all of the carpet has to be ripped out. If you are smart, you put furniture on concrete blocks or anything to keep the furniture from being ruined. My neighbor who has been flooded so very many times has been fortunate to have other neighbors pitching in to try to help protect the furniture. All the sand bags in the world will not help if the water gets too high.

And the water is dirty, nasty and ruins so much.

Cathy, I do hope you do not get anymore rain from Ike. There is not enough time for all of that to drain.

Do keep us posted, and thanks for the pics!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    The weatherman just said 8-9 inches on the west side. My boss had told me earlier when he phoned that he had heard 12 inches. The east side had only 4 inches !
    Sandbags were new to me too Dave.
    I started with the compost bags. They displace laying water and act as a barrier to approaching water. If the water gets up to the siding, it can easily go under the siding and into the walls and through the walls. I sometimes see snails walking my lower level walls and/or their glistening trail on my carpet so if they can get in, so can water(and more easily!).
    What a workout. I am tired for sure.
    I did take a moment to pluck a daylily pod that was getting brown on top and slightly open and filling with rain water. (As I mentioned, I just reached a point where I figured 'oh, the heck with trying to stay dry !' and walked around the house observing low spots and drainage and finding a piece of guttering with a hole in it explaining why nothing was coming out the other end !). Another list of Fall things to do !
    Thanks for sending positive thoughts our way. Things seem to be improving !

Blog Entries
    Things are much better today, However, streets near the creek were still barricaded and many folks had house flooding.

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/28315609.html

The video pretty much captures how it was in my area yesteday. My grocery store is in the background. LOL!

My house is OK. In fact, I am off to pot up rooted daylily prolifs !

Cathy,

I am certainly glad that you did not get flooded worse than it could have been.

Ike was not as bad as it could have been. Sadly, it hit in a very populated area, and I suspect that power outages will be the worst for all.

Still, I feel so forunate that it did not come closer to here. We were still getting wind gusts up to 30 mph within the last few hours.

I really needed to go outside and tend to everything, but I was up at 3:30am preparing for a robotics workshop.

Our winds were 20-30mph again today, but no rain to speak of...

Guess who is going to bed early?!?!?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Cathy,

Are you okay? Did Ike cause any more flooding?

We didn't get a lot of rain from Ike, but WOW! We got a lot of wind!!!

I truly wish that these monsters would not go into such heavily populated areas. The images that I am seeing of Galveston reminds me of our beaches after a hurricane. I would LOVE to have a home on the beach, but wouldn't dare. I would have to be mighty rich and that is never going to happen...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast