+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Round Up--should I use more ?

Blog Entries

Round Up--should I use more ?

On Labor Day, I used Round Up on various sections of lawn taken over by crabgrass. It has been a cold rainy week. At this point the areas where applied look yellow green. I was hoping for crispy brown. Maybe the temps played a factor. Also the Round Up was 10 years old.
    Should I reapply more Round Up(the 10 year old stuff) ? Some sections will be reseeded and others mulched to be beds. Obviously I have to get the crabgrass 'bodies' out of there to reseed. However, I'm thinking crispy brown is easier to remove than yellow green. Any ideas of what to do at this point ? Gotta get that grass seed in b4 10/15.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

Recently, I used Roundup on some honeysuckle and blackberry vines as well as some other 'toughies'. It too a week to start noticing any difference in them. After two weeks, I could tell where I had sprayed good enough to know where more is needed.

This is only my opinion and others may have different experiences to share, but I would give it 5-7 more days before using more Roundup. The stuff is too expensive to use more than necessary.

Anyone else want to share experiences/suggestions?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Patience

Like Ann says, it takes at least a week for the effects of Roundup to become obvious, in another week the area should be yellow/brown. As long as it is well sealed, the age of the spray should not make it totally useless, but it may weaken.

Next time you are in Wal-Mart look for a product called 'Eliminator Weed & Grass Killer'. The chemical. 'Glyphosate, Isopropylamine salt' is identical to Roundup, the concentration is 41%. Read the directions carefully. It is much cheaper to use than Roundup.

You mentioned the removal of the dead grass. That may not be needed if you plan to mulch the area, either after or instead of tilling. If you use a pre-emergence like Preen under the mulch, you will also kill most of the weed seeds that have fallen this year and last.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Thanks, I'll wait some more. I'm shooting for planting something next weekend. I agree with the mulching where not planning to put grass seed. That would save some wear and tear on myself ! Thanks !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread