+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting it 'in gear' for fall planting !

Blog Entries

Getting it 'in gear' for fall planting !

Well, I wish I were.....
    Seems like the local nurseries are egging us on to get it in gear. However, it is still hot(insert long whine here!). Of course, we all know that the next lament is, 'it's cold!'. Then, there are the rationalizations.. After buying 6 knock out roses and 3 low growing junipers on sale to place along the front of the house(alongside the road where crabgrass has taken over), now hubby is saying, 'if that's why you bought them(to deal with the crabgrass) why don't we just get the guy(who left a flyer saying he does lawn seeding and everything else) to just seed !' Well, that sounds soooo inviting. It means I might not have to plant 9 shrubs and figure out how to also lay landscape fabric,etc. But that also means I now have to find a new home for 9 shrubs and what if Mr. Lawn Guy doesn't pan out. I also have to get a bevy of daylilies into the ground. I could turn my sights to bed prep. Afterall, I don't want to fritter away a 3 day weekend which is now 1.5 days ! LOL!
    Guess I'll take an allergy pill and get out there and pull weeds from the future daylily bed ! It poured buckets last night so all should pull out easily.
    So you heard it here ...it's time for fall planting, let the fun begin !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,
    I feel the same way. Just too hot to do much. I did get out today and planted a flat of geraniums I had started. ANd tried to dig a couple of holes to plant some but with the ground so dry and the roots in the shade garden, I didn't get too far. I did get a couple of things put into bigger pots for overwintering. Maybe it will cool off soon and be nicer for working utside.
    Can you not just mulch the roses. THey would be so nice across the front of the house.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Yes Sue, it will be shrubs along the front ! Lawn guy wanted $100 just to kill the crabgrass and reseed the strip in the front(it's his minimal charge). I said, well you don't want to know what I really said, but I'll do it myself. So, I taught myself how to use the sprayer(unused and bought it in '98) and mix the Round Up and went to town !
    I also cleared the future daylily bed which was like clearing brush and saplings!
    I am exhausted ! I'm on my way to get a ibuprofen. Have to drag myself to the grocery store as I drank all the grapefruit and orange juice !

Cathy, That sounds like a plan. I had never used a sprayer or chemical spray til the last couple of years. When I moved back home and everything was so grown up I learned really quick. I got some more of the shade garden cleaned out today. Piled up brush I had cut and raked up sticks and leaves and burned 2 piles. The rest is stil brush and saplings. I am going to go at it from the other side so I can go ahead and start planting what I have cleared so far and will try to get a load of mulch on it soon. The only problem is getting the mulch unloaded since I hurt my back. I just can't hardly do it.
    I am out of Round Up so I got a recipe from eBay for a natural weed killer. I need to mix some up this week and try it out. It is pretty much what I fugured would be in it but I got some good info with it too. A lot cheaper too.
    While I was watching the fires I filled the holes I starting digging with water a couple of times so maybe I can enlarge them tomorrow and get a couple of things planted.
    Stay hydrated. Juice sounds good.
    tennessee sue

Cathy, I feel for you . I would like to weed my daylilies but the soil is too wet. The soil comes up with the weeds.The soil is wet from all the rain we got from Tropical Storm Fay. We were getting rain from that storm for days.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

I've been in gear here for the last few weeks and have my huge shrub/perennial
    border almost planted. I have another 15' section to do. Might not get done
    till next year, but I'm thinking sale time!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Wow ! 15 feet to go ! Now, that's some project !
    Lowes has had its sale table going for a couple weeks now. i haven't bought anything but did buy two Lantanas that were not on sale. I am going to keep them indoors overwinter and set out in spring.
    They do have gold mound spireas marked down from 14.88 to $2 BUT they are so scraggly and missing leaves. I'd almost think they hadn't been watered but , at least now, the soil is wet. My gut reaction was to leave them alone('keep it moving folks, nothing to see here !' ) Any idea on what their problem might be ? I had an Anthony Waterer spirea die on the side of my house(of course, I never paid it any attention). Is it possible they aren't a good pick for Kansas , are they diseased, misunderstood ? I dunno, I bought an ailing barberry last year for $2 and it isn't doing well but then again lawn guy wacked it several times. just wondering...

Still have tons of outdoor work to do and, darn it, they are predicting rain this weekend !

+ Reply to Thread