+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ann, we will be thinking about you!

Ann, we will be thinking about you!

Stay safe in the upcoming rough weather of Gustav, and please let us know that all is well when it passes! Got my fingers crossed that this one isn't too close to you!

Thanks, Kim!

Gustav is definitely one to watch. According to the current forecasts, it will go inshore west of us. How far west is the big question...

Fay did a turn toward the north at the last minute, but then slipped back around some to drop about 6" of rain Sunday night. Many students were absent on Monday. There was some flooding, but everything was okay here when I left for school Monday morninig (just more rain).

It has been very dry (little rain) since then, so getting more rain won't hurt, but I surely do not wish to spend Labor Day holidays boarding up and all the rest that goes with preparing and going through a hurricane.

I'll be watching and keep you all posted.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It's now a Category 4 hurricane, 150 mph!

Tears flow, and I don't mind telling you that whoever and wherever this storm hits, it is going to be BAD!

Horrors!!!! Just so long as it stays far away from here! We are forecasted for lots of rain on Sunday, courtesy of this hurricane. I truly hope it is no more than that, just rain...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    It is 5mph from being a Cat 5 ! It looks like New Orleans is taking heed and FEMA is providing transportation out for those without(and they are many). I dunno Ann, Mobile doesn't look all that far away unless I need a geography lesson (could be).
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Yes!

We are on the BAD side of this one. Still out of the projected cone, but the emergency management system is calling on the phone telling those in low lying areas and mobile homes to GET OUT!

Where it goes is still in question, but this one for sure is a really bad one. I expect bad weather, and I'm not boarded up until the direction changes.

Thanks for caring!

Still watching...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

As of this morning, they have issued mandatory evacuations for south of I-10 (doesn't include me). Both Hunter's school and my school are opening as shelters at 10am.

They have not announced any school closings, but if we get the storm surge that they are currently predicting, the schools could possibly be closed on Tuesday.

Yes, we are currently under hurricane warnings, but it is anticipated that we will only get tropical storm force winds and LOTS of rain starting this afternoon.

I have much to do, so I'd better get busy...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Gee, I would think that if the school were to become a shelter that would preclude normal operations not that it isn't do-able. Good luck ! Sounds like lots of rain for you !

Blog Entries
    Just so y'all know for refernce..Ann is in Mobile....
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    I like this map better for Alabama !
    Attached Images  

Thanks, Cathy!

We are on the 'wrong' side of this storm. The winds will be coming from the south which will cause a storm surge of up to 15-20' at the coast. Gulf water will literally be pushed up on our beaches, thus the evacuation of low lieing areas and those that live near rivers.

Rain will add to that causing even more flooding.

The good news is that we do not expect massive power outages and blocked roads due to downed trees. I do worry about my one remaining older pecan tree. I dread the day that this one goes down.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for those clouds to come in before I start moving hanging pots. It's dreadfully HOT!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The feeder bands are HERE!

Talk about thunder and lightning, this one has it! Power went out for a few minutes, but is back for now. I expect a lot of outages overnight. Hopefully, all of them will be short.

If you wish to watch our local station, http://www.wkrg.com gives some good reports on what is happening.

The shelter at my high school is already full which is a good sign that everyone is taking this storm and its surge potential seriously.

I'll keep in touch as long as I can. Right now, I need to do some laundry, just in case....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I have been watching and it looks like this thing has gone more easterly towards New Orleans since that map was posted which means closer to you. Just be careful and watchful. Let us know how things are as you can. Our prayers are with all in the path of this one.
    tennessee sue

All is fine. The outer bands arrived earlier this morning and will continue to for the next few hours. How many? I don't know.

The back yard is flooding a little, but not badly. The wind blows for awhile, then slows down. We will be under tornado warnings for most of the morning. After that, it depends on how long it takes Gustav to move on shore.

Some roads are under water and low lieing areas near the coast are flooding.

Power outages hasn't become a problem except for Dauphin Island which lost power last night and will be out for a couple of days.

I am so glad that this thing is not coming in here!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Still no word on school closing for tomorrow, but Cathy, you are right. How can they possibly have school when they are being used for shelters today. Lots of people are frustrated with 'not knowing', and since we have a new school superintendent, I think he needs to hear from all of those folks. This happens every time there is a hurricane, even during Ivan, Katrina and Rita.

It is hardest for the teachers because we feel that we HAVE to be there. Students will simply stay home, and I promise you that Hunter will not go to school tomorrow, even if I have to go.

Heavy bands of rain are still coming through. There is lots of wind, but it is not so bad where I am. The immediate coast is most effected by the surge.

For us, it is simply a rainy day. There is no lightning. There are tornadoes, but those are short lived and not so bad as in the middle of the 'real' thing.

I feel for those folks to my west in Louisiana. They are getting hit really hard.

In the meantime, Hunter and his friend who is visiting are having fun with their xbox and all is fairly peaceful and quiet. No Labor Day BBQ or outdoor activities, but we'll have some watermellon and canteloupe and hamburgers at lunchtime.

Needless to say, I am grateful to the fact that my home and gardens are NOT being battered by this hurricane.

IF there is no school tomorrow, I will spend the day pulling weeds from the rain soaked grounds.

Thank you all for checking in to make sure that we are okay. We ARE!

Hugs!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

They have finally announced that schools are closed tomorrow.

My cable has been down, and it is now up again.

It is raining and blowing a little. Overall, it's not so bad...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast