+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headed into a hurricane

Blog Entries

Headed into a hurricane

Yep, that's what it looks like. I'm headed to Palm Beach through Atlanta on Tuesday getting in around 1 PM. That is exactly when the hurricane will be passing over that section of Florida. I will be on the east coast and the hurricane is headed west and now more Gulf bound but if the winds are over 45 MPH the airport closes. So, I hope the airline figures that out b4 I get to the airport and NOT while I am in Atlanta !
    (I've tutued most, not all, of my daylily pods--the usual when I travel at pod time.)
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Oh, Cathy!!!

This is NOT good. Be careful and be SAFE!

I have been stuck for many long hours at the ATO airport. It's not fun.

Keep us posted, and we will definitely be watching the weather reports. If this thing turns back toward us, it will have time to strengthen in the Gulf. Either way, it is simply not good...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I was able to change my reservation from tomorrow to Wednesday. The airline(took forever to) post a weather advisiory and offer to change departing flights. I was originally scheduled to get in with the storm ! That would not have happened as they would have closed the airport(over 45 mph,it closes), but most likely I'd be stuck in Atl.
    Things hsould be better(but realistically maybe delayed a bit ) on Wednesday. Mom is relieved !

Cathy,

What a relief that you are waiting!

We had a rough day at school yesterday (due to weather). There was a tornado just southeast of us, so we went into lockdown for over 30 minutes. Then at the end of the day, there was a thunderstorm approaching, and it was lightning yet only a few sprinkles of rain was falling. One of the buildings was struck. We lost power. A student was apparently hit by lightning but is reported to be doing okay. He is at the hospital.

As you can tell, I have a deep respect for weather. For lots of reasons....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Cathy,

Please do keep us posted about your trip.

Right now, it doesn't look all that great for North Florida or here for that matter. It's a matter of waiting to see what happens. As long as the 'thing' doesn't get very far back out in the Gulf, all we should get is a lot of rain.

If it stays inshore once it turns back to the east, then it will weaken.

A lot of IF's, but we are used to that. I guess I really should stock up on batteries, etc. before there is a rush at the store. I have plenty of hurricane lantern fluid and candles.

YUK! I'll be glad for hurricane season to be over, but I am NOT ready for winter. It has actually been rather nice. Highs have been in the upper 80's. Lows have been around 71-72.

I really don't mind the afternoon rains. They cool everything off and the plants love it. I did a google search for "rainiest city" and guess what city was listed!!! Yep!!! With an average rainfall of 67", we are the top city.

Like I said, I'd rather it rain than be a drought!

Take care, Cathy and let us hear from you....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Hi ! I'm leaving tomorrow early early(need to get to bed!). Mom says they have no flooding and didn't think it has ben too bad. Of course, she is worried it is headed to Georgia(and my connecting airport). I told her it should be out in the ocean when I get there. It may come back in but I'll be at her house by then. My Mom's 90th b-day is Tuesday ! My brother will be there on Sunday thru Wednesday. I will be flying back Wednesday. It'll be rainy but good to see Mom.

Oh, Gee! Cathy, I sure hope you made your trip without too many problems. It doesn't look good at all.

Right now, we are still in the cone of the projected path. It's still too early to say, though. There is always the possibility that it will turn more northward. In either case, Tom and I are both in for a rainy weekend.

Hopefully, it will be out of here before school on Monday!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Hi ! A quick check in to say I'm back; hoping y'all are well ! No flooding where I went ! Thank goodness !

+ Reply to Thread