+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to Garden in a Small Space # 5

How to Garden in a Small Space # 5

"Incredible Plant Stands"

The first is made of smooth 3/8" steel and stands 4 1/2 ft. tall with a welded base. The Stand fits into a 14" tall pot filled with soil and plants and alternating smaller pots tilted in the opposite direction, filled with soil and plants until you reach the top. These can be made with 3/8" Re-Bar from hardware/building supply store and usually the Muffler Shop can be talked into welding these for you at a reasonable cost. The retail cost is $29.99 for the metal stand alone.
    Attached Images  

Pix of metal stand.
    Attached Images  

The Second stand is made of metal tubing welded to a plate with 3 decreasing sizes of wire baskets to a height of 4 ft. and a base of 18" with a 20" bottom basket, then 14" then 8" basket lined with Coco Mat. The retail cost is $49.99 as shown.
    NOTICE !!!!! While #1 and #3 can be managed with saucers under them water will go right through Coco Mat so this will need to be out doors.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by stp445; 07-21-2008 at 09:13 PM. Reason: to add more info.

The Third Stand is almost like the first except Size, Cost and how it is made. The Retail cost is ONLY $19.99 in the box. The stand is 4 ft. tall and comes in 3 sections to put together. The post is 1/2" steel and very sturdy. You will need to watch the drain hole to make sure it is big enough to tilt the pots especially if you are using pottery.
    Attached Images  

I've had my tipsy pots for the 2nd year. Last year, I used smaller clay pots, but this
    year, switched to larger ones, hoping it would be easier to water. Still haven't figured out
    a good way to water them. Hmmmm. . . . ..will have to think some more about it.
    Thanks for all the great info you have been sharing.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

To Vicki and others with or thinking about "Tipsy Pots".
    Watering should be done with a 'water wand' with a 'bubbler' on the end. Wally World has the wand for $4.98 and I got a plastic shutoff valve for .98, with these you don't disturb the soil in a pot on its side. With your clay pots, when Winter comes and you take down the "Tipsy Pots" put them in buckets of clean water to soak and change the water every day for 4-5 days to leach out the salts (the white stuff seen in the bottom pot in the first picture). Then take a stiff plastic bristled brush and clean all the white stuff off and re-soak it till the salt is all gone. Clay pots are porous and during the summer will loose water through the pot. You can use plastic but, they don't look as good so, take latex paint and put 2-3 coats of any color on the inside of the pot, this will slow the water WAY down. Once you seal the inside take some of the left over colors and paint flowers on the outside or stripes and such.
    Also, very important when you go to bigger pots you MUST add more weight to the bottom pot to prevent it from tipping over.

I almost forgot, I can supply information on watering "Tipsy Pots" indoors if you have then over a saucer.

+ Reply to Thread