+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Life is a Blast

Life is a Blast

Right now, a HOT one!

Highs have been running about 90 degrees with a few days above or below that.

I don't mind so much, despite the humidity, WHEN it rains.

Cathy and Rebecca, Thanks for sending me RAIN. It wasn't too much, but it was enough to make my plants happy.

There is supposed to be a cold front coming down sometime around the weekend. To tell you the truth, high of 81 sounds good right about now!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well, I hear the thunder. I smell the rain. The temps have dropped. And the power has gone out just long enough for me to restart this monster.

Looks like rain is heavy on the forecast for the next 10 days. I wouldn't mind at all. My plants need it...

Besides, I like the way it cools everything down, for a little while anyway....

Also, I am working on a project for school which is consuming quite a bit of time. Well, that, plus taking the place of a teacher for a few days in summer school. I don't think I want to do that again!!!!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We sure could use some rain here. Haven't had any for a week or so. Watered for hours yesterday. That is no fun and I WILL be getting more soaker hoses!
    The temps have been moderate for this time of year, with the last 2 being the warmest so far. Mid 80's. Seems hot, hot with a light breeze.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Vicki- Are u sure no rain ? My goodness there was a gargantuan wind/thunder and lightening and rain storm from Wichita up thru Michigan last night.
    The wind was unbelievable ! I heard it rushing like almost never before. The news said 100 mph !
    Thank goodness we did get alot of rain as well. I was about to the point of lugging hoses. Thankfully no downed trees but I did see others with downed tree limbs and one large tree uprooted from the pond's edge-that'll be a big cleanup job.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Wish one of you people that are getting rain and too much would send some to South Texas. We had about 1/2 inch about 2 months ago and now have 1 1/2 inch cracks in the ground. I start watering at the nursery about 9 am and quit about 5 pm daily and this is with an irrigation system that starts at midnight and goes till 8:30 am. We are running 95 degree days and set a record LOW last week at night of 73 degrees and everybody commented on how cold it was that night. But, our savior is the 85 to 95% humidity and 10 to 20 mph wind that makes all our palm trees sway. People are starting to cut the dead palm branches out as during a hurricane those branches in the wind can cut you up real bad and they go right through windows in businesses, cars and homes. And, on the 4th of July when a bottle rocket hits the top of the palm it sets the tree on fire and that is better than the fire works shows. Picture an 80 foot tall candle. Happy Birthday USA.

We finally got some measurable rain today. I can't remember the last time that happened. We got 1/2 an inch earlier today then 1/4 an inch later on. It was so nice as lawns were getting crunchy. Ours doesn't get too brown due to the amount of shade we get. And this watering everyday is very tiring. We could possibly get somemore tonight or tomorrow. We can use all we can get and I am very thankful for what we got today. I hope those of you in as dire a situation as we are get some too.
    tennessee sue

I guess I have been stingy, so I'll do my best to send some your way, okay?

There was a nice rain today, and surprisingly, there was no loss of power. We were under severe thunderstorm warnings most of the day.

The daylilies melted from the rain, but everything else looks very happy, especially the weeds!

The temps climbed to 90-92 degrees during the dry period, but when it rains in the afternoon, it stays below 85-86 degrees. That helps a LOT!

I think the ground is now soft and moist enough to start digging, but I find myself busy with this project at school, so we'll see.

Sue, I'm happy to hear that you finally received some rain. I can't believe how many years this lack of rain in the spring and summer have affected my gardens, but I guess I'm sort of getting used to it. LAS! By the time I get used to it (and more prepared), hopefully, the drought problem will simply GO AWAY!

Thanks Cathy and Rebecca for sending some rain my way...

It is very much appreciated! Especially, rains with no FLOODING!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Still no signs of actual rain but, did get dark and rainy looking. Cracks still abound but not getting any bigger. Copper (my Bedlington Terrier) steps over the cracks and I wonder if he knows something I don't.
    Attached Images  

John,

I added Corpus Christi to my weather.com dopplers so that I could check on you once in awhile.

Sure enough, it looks like your weather pattern is going to be similar to mine. More rain in the very near future...

I hate it when the ground is so dry that it cracks. I HATE droughts!!!

I adore rain which means I have to be more forgiving when it is flooding rains.

Afternoon clouds are wonderful, aren't they? Not only does the rain cool everything down, but the clouds keep that blaring sun from burning everything up.

You are located in a part of Texas that is close to my home and my heart.

Keep us posted, okay?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Augh! I had to lug hoses tonight--the first time this year ! No rain in sight ! It took hours to water the daylilies and lilies. I also mixed up and applied countless plastic gallon jugs of Miracle Gro. Yesterday was a weeding, hummingbird vine-sawing festival. My body is saying 'enough already!'.
    The fireworks were very pretty to watch last night. Thanks to neighbors who bought some pretty nice displays.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

We actually got a nice rain yesterday. 2 in fact. It stopped just in time for our cook out and fireworks. I didn't care I was just so thankful for the rain. We also got one earlier in the week so that has helped.
    tennessee sue

We have had a shower yesterday and today but, maybe 1/4 inch total. Still have cracks but the high was only 85 both days and the sun covered most of the days.

Cool

We are now up to about 2 1/2" and the cracks have closed and the grass is actually green (what grass is left).

+ Reply to Thread