+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My new passionflower is blooming!

My new passionflower is blooming!

I bought this plant as just a tiny one this spring and it has indeed popped! (Commonly called a MayPop here.) Passiflora is one of my favorites and apparently this bee loved it too!

That is lovely. The bee looks like he is trying to get as much as he can before someone else finds it. Can you get a picture from the front?
    tennessee sue

I adore Passiflora!

I used to have quite a few varieties, but over time, many of them I have lost or given away.

One of the ones that I miss the most is P. Citrina. When my life settles down (it is actually starting to), I intend to start another one. It's not hardy, but grows beautifully in a hanging basket. It has small, odd shaped leaves and tiny yellow flowers.

Right now, I have Incarnata, Ceaurea (spell?), Incense and Lady Margaret. I lost Amythest and, unfornately, I didn't have a rooted cutting. Oh, and there is the enormous red one that takes over the world. I may have to get rid of the red one. It only blooms in the late summer and fall. I love it. It's just that it gets too large.

The only one blooming right now is Lady Margaret. The others are growing leaps and bounds with no blooms yet.

I really adore them all. The Gulf Frits adore them as well, and by the time it is almost winter and the vines need to be removed, they are mostly bare because the caterpillars have eaten them.

Bees do love them, too! I have seen the legs of bees so heavily laden with pollen that I am surprised they can fly!

MayPop is usually the name for P. Incarnata which is fairly hardy. It does produce fruit (and seeds) sometimes.

Keep taking pictures and do post them. We enjoy every one of them.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

More pics of passionflower

Yes, of course, I got more pics of this beautiful vine!

Bee and flower from another angle:

Just the flower:

The bee invites his honey along!

And a close up of them:

+ Reply to Thread