+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Invitation to Write

Invitation to Write

Yesterday, I received an email (one of so very many) that sort of stuck out at me. The email was a personal invitation to write an article for the Home and Gardens section of a 'how to' website.

At first, I thought, 'Oh, Yeah! Another website that wants to exchange links', but this one was different. It was more personalized and obvious that they had visited this forum.

Get this... Not only would I be able to share my knowledge, I would be able to link to my website and this forum as well as receive 50% of commissions on advertising.

What do you think?

What do you think would be best for me to write about? I think this would be fun, and I've never really written an article for another website before.

PM me if you wish to know the link of the company requesting an article. Also, if you wish to write one, I noticed on their website that they are asking for authors.

I am just sort of honored to receive an email from these folks.

And, I have to admit that I look back and see all the info on landspro and not very many people even bother to read.

Oh, well! There is always tomorrow (like Gone with the Wind, huh?)
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Wow, that is a great news. Congratulations, Ann!

For the article, I think it depends on whether the site is very detailed oriented or general type on the how-to. If it is the former, maybe on hybridizing or specifically hybridizing amaryllis. Lots of information are around, but you can probably make a combination and show a summary of methods, tools, etc. Good be good to include some pictures of the step-by-step because people love those.

If it is general how-to type, maybe just a general introduction to hybridizing showing how it can be done and that everybody can do that.

Usually this kind of sites are not interested in very specific info. Their purpose is more to attract traffic so that they can have more advertisement.

Or you can of course ask them to see if they have any special interest.

Congratulations again. I think this site will be even more famous (although I have a feeling that it is pretty famous to hybridizers).
    Dave

Ann,
    Tha is great. I think it will be a good oppertunity for you. I think it should be on propagation. Maybe general about cuttings and the different times of yers for different kinds of plants. And the equipment neded, etc. Or more specific maybe for roses.
    Or maybe collecting, saving and storing seeds. You could even follow up with an article on starting seeds.
    The possibilities are endless. I do agree with Dave that you might want to ask and see if they want something general or specific. And check to see what they might already have on line. And I would be interested to see the site and see what they have already.
    Congrats. I know you will do an outstanding job.
    tennessee sue

The topics that Sue suggested are all good too! Well, it is always a hard decision to decide, isn't it?

But this is exciting.
    Dave

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Congrats and yes, do send me the link so I can check this site out, for you and for me!

As for what to write about, that's easy, write what you know the most about, even if you are "still learning". I think you could write an awesome article about "Amaryllis - Not just for Christmas"! and you could hint about hybridizing them thus making an open, as it were, for another article! I know those of use who has posted images would be happy to share any you might need for it and even the hybridizing part, well the seed sprouting methods.

You could also do one on "Gardening in the Gulf Coast"; Ann, there are just so many different topics you could write about! Going with what you are most passionate about would probably be the best as well as the easiest.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

I thought of you immediately when I read the email.

The following is a copy and paste of the email that was sent to me:

"Dear Landscape Propagation representative,

I found your website's 'landspro.com/' page while searching for information about working in and around the home and garden. I am the editor for a website called HowToDoThings.com. HowToDoThings strives to solve people's everyday problems by compiling reliable information from experienced contributors in over 250 categories.

Our "Home and Garden" related topic areas ( http://www.howtodothings.com/home-and-garden ) include over 200 current, expert articles on "building and remodeling", "design and decorating", "gardening and landscaping", "home maintenance and repair", and "housekeeping and homemaking". Some of our most popular articles in the "Home and Garden" category include "How to water your lawn and garden correctly", by Mike McGrath, host of the nationally syndicated public radio show "You Bet Your Garden".

As a trusted expert in the field, we would like to invite you to become a contributor and write "How To" articles of your own. Publishing articles on HowToDoThings gives you access to a large and growing audience, helping you establish credibility and gain recognition for your expertise. You can include a link to your website or blog in your author signature and profile, and you can even earn some money! We split the advertising revenue your articles earn with you, 50/50. Find out more at http://www.howtodothings.com/start?cid=homegarden .

Also, if you think that your visitors would be interested in some of our articles, please feel free to add a link to one or several of our pages. We have provided sample HTML for your convenience below*.

Please let me know if there is someone else I should contact at Landscape Propagation.

Sincerely,

Vanessa Raymond
    vraymond@howtodothings.com

Editor-in-Chief
    HowToDoThings.com
    600 1st Ave.
    Suite 500
    Seattle, WA 98104

*We suggest the following link:
    Link Text: Home and Garden Articles
    Description: Expert articles on home and garden topics.
    Sample HTML: "http://www.howtodothings.com/home-and-garden">Home and Garden Articles - Expert articles on home and garden topics."
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

FYI: that last link doesn't work! The fist one, in the message they sent, did though! I checked them out and they are starving for information on many things!

"Amaryllis" are only mentioned, briefly, in an article about buying "Christmas Flowers", and nothing about how to grow them! I came up with none at all about "Daylilies"! I will admit that I did not use all the various spellings or just "Daylily", I may do that tonight when I am over at the neighbor's watch her kids. She has a DSL connection and it will go much faster and easier than on my poor old dinosaur!

From what I saw of the site, this one is liget and RSS feeds are available for all of the various Categories; I find that to be a very positive thing as it allows folds to get up-dates on new articles on their home page.

I say, "Go For It" and if I can ever get my brain cells and neurons to all fire right I might see what I can come up with on Daylilies, although I am far from being a true expert, I am definitely a passionate grower and dabber of pollen when it comes to them!

Rebecca

Totally off topic, but look who is STILL blooming:
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

My thoughts exactly. They are legit. I checked them out with a google search before I posted. No one has a clue as to how much junk mail that I get!

I'm not surprised that the last link did not work. In my email, it shows the href html code, and I was surprised to see that this forum software tried to use it as a link.

Think about it, Rebecca! I do believe you could make great contributions.

As to Amaryllis, I may start taking some better pics of the process of growing and propagating them, but Fall would be a better time for that story.

In the meantime, there are all these beautiful subtropicals that are soaking up the rain from yesterday. Most of what I have were started from cuttings. If they start looking pretty again (with the rain), I'll take more pics.

Sounds like a lot of FUN, huh?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    "Tropicals Growing in the Gulf Coast of Alabama" or to use the politically correct wording:

"How to Grow Tropicals. . . ."

right up your ally, Ann! I agree, fall would be better timing for an article on Amaryllis.

For a Daylily article, I though "How to Grow Daylilies - They Ain't Just Yellow!". (I think I might have to check out titles and see if it is mandatory to use "How To Grow", it gets in the way! I could start with some of the other colors and forms with a brief guide to planting and care. I would definitely have to come up with an outline first or I'd be jumping all over the place!

Had another title idea Daylilies - What You're Used to Seeing and What's Really "Out There"! LOL!

Can ya tell I didn't get enough sleep last night!?!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Ann,
    I haave been to that site several times before reading articles. They are for real and have been around a little while. Get busy writing. You too Rebecca.
    tennessee sue

Yes it would be a wonderful opportunity to possibly increase Lp membership - I can only see positive things coming from it.

Abby

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of heirloom plants - you know the kind that are passed along from generation to generation. The theme of each, of course, being propagation and then progressing to propagating those precious tropicals and sub-tropicals.

The problem is that all of my web pages are so very old. I know that many are visited, and I have even run across blog and how-to articles which directly link to individual landspro pages. I'm always surprised and think, oh, that is so very way too cool. I don't even know who these people are who are linking to my pages.

Of course, my biggest passion has, for some reason, always been growing from seed. I remember years ago when I tried to research growing daylily seeds. I had seen a TV program by a hybridizer who said that you had to chill the seeds first. Dummy me! I never knew that. I started them right away and no one had ever told that this was the wrong thing to do.

I had a lot of people emailing me, telling me that this would not work for all daylily seeds

In fact, I still get a lot of 'how do I' emails. I answer them the best that I can with the knowledge that I have, and oh, my goodness, I have learned so much since starting landspro. Most of that knowledge has been gained here, on this forum!

Thanks for all your support. I'm still thinking about it some more...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

What would you say to those who wish as partial payment for your site, write some stuff for you to check over, clean up a little and send on. They could be sent as yours from me, or me as a LP member. What ever they would take.
    John

That sounds GREAT!

But, I would think that you would wish to refer to YOUR website.

I wouldn't be surprised if they would let you refer to lp, also! Surprisingly, I have found a few articles where people that I do not know have done just that, and I feel honored that they did. Usually, it is a link to one of my web pages and not to the forum, but that's okay. I need to work on that...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann ... Rebecca ... just stumbled on this thread and wondered if anyone ever did anything with it ???
    Patsy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast