+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mama's Crinum

I will have to talk to hubby to drive over ther one day after school is out. I am a school crossing guard and have to be home during the day so I am not late to go out on the crossing. I will let you know if I am successful about talking them out of at least one bulb of it.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Mama's Crinum

Now, blooming in my yard...

These were taken very early this morning. They were so pretty that I just had to get my camera and take a few shots.
    Attached Images      
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

If not identified before I will call this one a beautiful specimen of Crinum bulbispermum (aka: Milk and Wine Lily) exact variety unknown as there are some really beautiful varieties. The differences are very small on some but, you have a real winner. There are some experts out there that could get you down to one or two varieties.
    John

Ann, they're gorgeous. Are they also fragrant?
    Patsy

Thank you. I was in awe when I saw them this morning.

Patsy, I'll have to check the smell tomorrow, if I can. You see, my sinuses are given me fits! So, just because I don't smell it won't mean that there isn't a fragrance.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Patsy, I clipped off a couple of the blooms, and infortunately, I could not smell anything. Quite frankly, I have been sneezing for several days now, so I'm not sure if I could smell anything right now.

They are pretty. The blooms are more erect in the morning, but by the time I get home they are drooping down like bells. Fortunately, there are new ones starting to open and they will be upright in the morning.

So, I get to enjoy these for many days.

One more day of school for the students and two more for ME!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

For years after we moved into this house I didn't know there was a crinum in the field behind the Middle school. Well since we now have the pups, and a fence was installed to keep dirt bikes from using the field , causing fires with sparks from mufflers. Walking the pups every day to the no man's land area where all the neighborhood dogs go, I saw that there was a big clump of crinum right up against the fence along one side to the dirt driveway that goes to the Boys and Girls Club of Lakeland. Well This week the School board has started making a road into the field on the paved road side of the property. One of the dump truck drivers dug up the clump and dropped it over the fence .He said he didn't want to kill it and if some one saw it , they might pick it up and take it home. Later that evening I was taking the pups for a evening walk . I saw that clump on the driveway and I picked it up and took it home. My hubby planted 4 single bulbs that seperated off very easily and planted them along the south side of the house. The majority of the clump was still connted to each other and he decided to plant it where we had had a tree we planted die. The bloom on this crinum is white and skinny petals. As far a a fragrance I do not know if it has one yet since I wasn't able to smell it when walking the pups. When it does bloom I will get pictures of it. Right now it looks a little ragged due to freezed burned foliage .

They should make a nice show come next year - looking forward to the pix.
    Abby

The rescued crinum is blooming but it turned out to be a hymenocallis. I think someone had thrown some seeds of the hymenocallis near that crinum, and they sprouted and grew next to it. Because I know at one time it was blooming and it was definitely not a hymenocallis. So maybe the real crinum will bloom and I can get a picture of it. Here is the picture of the hymenocallis blooming today.
    Attached Images  

This picture is of a crinum I bought a few years ago . It has bloomed sporadically until this year. I guess it got big enough to bloom more than once a year. It has produce two little pups so far. The stamens on this flower are the purple showing on the petal in the lower right of the photo
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by DaylilyDawn; 05-17-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: To add a little more information on it.

Blog Entries
    Looks like a Peruvian daffodil although I know it isn't but maybe they are related ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

It is called a Peruvian daffodil, i Googled hymenocallis and every picture of it said it was called a Peruvian daffodil..I have all of the rescued bulbs planted on the south side of the house. The four loose bulbs may all turn out to be hymenocallis. The other 4 bulbs were connected to each other so I think it may be the crinum. When it blooms I will post a picture of its blooms.

My Purchased Crinum

A long time ago, I purchased a crinum bulb off a Mike Longo's Daylily Auction member. Well now it has bloom sporadically in the last few years but I think it is finally reaching maturity. I just took a picture of it latest scape and flowers. Today it is the 21st of Nov. and it is blooming.
    Attached Images  

Sorry it is so big.

That crinum is blooming again

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast