+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mama's Crinum

Crinum "Queen Emma" the last monarch of Hawaii. Also refered to as a 'Tree Crinum' on the Islands this is 4 1/2 feet tall.
    Attached Images  

The bloom as a whole is about 12 - 14" across and each individual is about 4" across. The second scape is opening. It has the aroma of all spice.
    Attached Images  

Amazing!!!!

Hey, All!

You know how I get when I talk about propagation. It's so much FUN and so Amazing!

Well, I have to tell you a story....

When my brother dug up a few of my Mom's crinum, one of them had a completely severed basal plate. I said, "That won't root. The basal plate is gone." He said, "Yes, it will!" I said, "You don't understand. No, it won't. There is no basal plate. He said, "Yes, it will!"

So, I didn't argue and stuck the huge bulb under the hydrangeas to cure the cut edges a bit. Then, I prompty forgot about it. To be honest, I figured it would rot away to nothingness.

Well, it didn't. The wounds calloused, and there must have been some inner basal plate left because it now has roots.

Go figure!!!! The old sister is not always right. Bro was!

Here are some pics. Keep in mind that this bulb has undergone being under a bush at 26 degrees or so. OH, MY GOSH!

How FUN can it get!
    Attached Images          
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I love the crinum lily pictures. I bought my first one at (of all places) Wal-Mart. They called it a South African Lily. It didn't bloom the first year (grumpy at being moved I suppose), but bloomed the second and this past year and produced one fairly large offspring which I cut off this fall and put into its own pot.
    And I found a great sourse for other interesting Crinum is.....E-bay!! Go figure. I've gotten some great plant bargains there--mostly from people who had too many plants, or had plants that came from an older relatives' house or farm. And you can't beat the prices if you keep an eye on shipping costs. I've found Crinum lilies, a lot of 50+ bearded iris for under $20, 55 saffron crocus for under $20, and 50+ iris dietes grandiflora for under $20, and 2 lbs of "bare naked ladies" for the same low price. I've also found ginger plants, walking iris, Japanese iris, and seeds from Australia, South America, and Tasmania that I'm itching to get going as spring gets nearer.

Kim,

I'm afraid that if I let myself, I would become a crinum freak! They are so gorgeous when they become really established which doesn't take very many years here. They love all the excessive rain fall, and since they are buried deep, I don't think I ever have to worry about hardiness.

Yep! I'm spoiled when it comes to some of these bulbs, but Lililium is more difficult for me. They seem to do best in pots rather than in the ground. Perhaps that lets their feet get more chilled.

This morning, I ventured to Sam's Club and what a mistake! They had bulbs galore as well as grape vines, perennials, clematis, elephant ears, caladiums, Dahlias, gladiolus you name it!

The mistake was spotting the mixed package with red and white crinum, elephant ears and white caladium all in one for $13.88 or something like that. The crinum were almost the size of a softball, and I couldn't resist. These are noids, but that is okay. There were 2 in the package, 15 caladium and I think 2 elephant ears.

I ALWAYS get bulb fever this time of the year...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Here's my Wal Mart crinum. I took the picture with my cell phone.
    Attached Images  

This morning, I ventured to Sam's Club and what a mistake! They had bulbs galore as well as grape vines, perennials, clematis, elephant ears, caladiums, Dahlias, gladiolus you name it!
    Sigh.... maybe I should join Sam's Club.
    Dave

Wink

Sorry everybody about not writing lately, I'm in the middle of a HUGE project.
    Anyway I just moved (2) two 6 foot tall Crinum Procerum "Queen Emma" at the South Texas Botanical Gardens ( http://stxbot.org ) yesterday and brought them from a dark spot into the light. They started blooming in November here and the last bloom scape just wilted so I moved them to a better spot. They will be in with other Amaryllids in a bed over 1000 sq feet containing the most Amaryllids in one area of any public gardens in the USA, come and see us.
    John

Dave,

I adore Sam's Club, but they have a nasty habit of not opening until 10am, and even though I am not by nature a morning person, I am forced to be that way and prefer shopping earlier. Ie., I don't go there very often, but they do have some great perennial and bulb deals from time to time and several other things that I purchase from time to time in bulk.

Kim! You did great with the photo! I knew you could do it! It looks a lot like my grandmother's which is fantastic every year.

John! It's about time that you came back, and thanks for the referrals, Kim, included! There are times that I wished that I could live in Corpus Christi, not so many frosts/freezes!

All is well here, and I feel more comfortable with the greenhouse plastic installed on my porch. Only one semi-major disaster, though. My bro put the large tub of potting mix inside the porch, and it is so crowded that I couldn't get to it. So, I popped the staples, moved it back outside and tacked the plastic back into place.

I needed the tub of potting mix to pot up the Garden Amaryllis...

31 degrees tonight, much colder tomorrow night!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    31 degrees? Send some of that "tropical" heat our way! The temperature hasn't been over 15 degrees for six days.

Kim,

It is going to get 25 or below tonight, and for me, that is an arctic FREEZE!

Honest to goodness, I do not know how you all make it through days on end that never get above freezing.

That would be a whole new world for me, and at my age, I am not sure that I could endure it. OMG, though! Snow is so very FUN and pretty!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I love all the pictures of the crinums. Johna I am searching for one that has a scent that is a combination of lily of the valley and lemon overtones. I remember the clump of the crinum that bllomed at a house I lived in when I was a teenager. At the time I did not know what kind of plant it was, although I did think it was in the amaryrillis family. I do have a few now that came from a friend in the Daylily Chat hosted Mby Mike Longo. It has closed now so I no longer can contact her. She sent me several bulbs from Miss. I have them planted on the north side of my house which gets more shade in the afternoon than the front or back yard.They are a skinney petaled flower with some pink blushing on the flower.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

DL Dawn - I'm asking the expert on the crinum with the LOTV-Lemon scent. He should come up with something.
    Crinums are members of the Amaryllid Family. All Amaryllids should be considered poisonous.
    I was helping out a man with arthritis with a bed of WAY overgrown crinum. I had to dig up the whole bed and replant it but, I got in return about 170 crinum. I'm waiting on more conformation but it looks like they are Crinum Amoenum from the low river mountains of India. Sometimes they are imported and sold as "White Spider Lilies" with NO mention that they are crinums not lilies, need shade, a little more moisture than the ave. crinum and the bloom only lasts 2 days at the most, though quite striking.
    Thanks to the American "business man" the rest of us have to fix the problems created by people who sell plant material that have NO IDEA what they are selling or how to take care of it.
    John

Thank you for contacting the expert, John. I remember that plant because of its fragrance. Any time it was in bloom, if it rained the fragrance would get stronger. With no rain it still had fragrance but it was very light, not strong like after a rain. I do not know if the plant is still at that house since I moved away from there more than 35 years ago. I could make a visit to the place and see if it is still there one day. At the time I lived there , the plant was huge , it stood waist high on my brother who was about 6 ft tall as a teenager.

When my crinums on the north side of the house start blooming again, I will post a picture of the blooms in this thread. They bloom almost nostop in the summer.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Wink

DL DAWN - Expert's reply: Mrs. James Hendry - Liquorice; Jaqus (all) - Vanilla; and my in put: Procrinum "Queen Emma" - All Spice and all the others just sweet, no mention of the one LOTV and lemonish. But, if the plant still alive talk them out of some and send it to me.
    I now am the owner of an unnamed LA Iris as with Excellent pix no one can ID it. Also, 30 more NOID LA Iris that I potted up today and some Crinum Asiaticum (small) (a 12" pot full) which should get potted tomorrow.
    I went up the coast to Rockport,Tx. to check on a lady's two big pots of Clivia as to why they were not blooming (recent re-potting) and for my trouble she gave me 9 Liycoris Aurea (Golden Spider lily) ranging from 12 to 20 cm round. These are now in with my Reds and one White.
    As you can see I'm very busy right now as our days are in the 70's and nights mid to upper 40's and things will start popping in about 4-6 weeks. And my nursery inspection is due before the end of the month.
    John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast