+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mama's Crinum

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous Crinum John ! I can't wait to see the blooms on the Erubesens ! I adore Queen Emma. You are so very right about crinum not liking to be moved; they not only sulk but pout !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Okay guys I am going to move mine this fall to a sunnier spot. Any tips on when to do that or anything else. It is just gotten way too big for where it is and doesn't get enough sun. THe blooms were very small this year. But I have another scape coming up. There is also a smaller one that came up last year, should I divide them or can i leave them together? ANy advice appreciated.
    tennessee sue

Dazed --- I will tilt my camera up and you can see my big 5 foot tall Queen Emma in the background.

Sue --- First get plenty of rest and a sharp shovel. Move it after it is finished blooming and enough time to reset roots. My guess would be August. And, as Dazed repeated they don't like to be moved but you can't kill one. As to removing "pups" I use as a general rule 'if it is as big as your thumb' it can come off into its own pot or space. (All of mine are in pots) I have an Emma from last year and will have another this year and my pot is getting small for my Emma so I will go up some more in pot size. If you are moving to another part of the yard I would use one fist full of Gypsum in and around the new hole per inch of 'trunk'. Water in daily for 3 days than stop and wait a week and give 1 tablespoon of low N or NO N and high P and K per one inch of trunk and the same a month later. Lastly mulch in real well for the winter.

This is for Dazed, "Queen Emma"
    Attached Images  

For Dazed and the others "Queen Emma" is expecting. Note the little round bump at the base along with the off shoots.
    Attached Images  

Erubscens #6 on the morning of day 6. WARNING STAY TUNED !!!
    Attached Images  

Erubscens # 7 Evening of day 6.
    Attached Images  

It looks as if it all has been worth waiting for
    Abby

Erubscens # 8 close up of bloom. Smells like a lemon rind crushed ALL over the back yard and neighbor came over to look as she could smell it. Bloom is white with dark purple pistil and stamens. It is 7 1/2 inches from tip to tip and there are 6 of them.
    Attached Images  

Absolutely adorable
    Abby

Erubescens # 9 day 7 (I think) anyway they have all bent the leaves back and enter twined to make a big white ball. Neighbors still smelling them in the evening.
    Attached Images  

John,

I do adore them ALL! Crinum could soooooo easily become an addiction for me. We are fortunate to be able to grow them in the ground.

My brother dug up a few of Mama's, and she brought them over a few days ago. I am just now getting them planted. They were huge! I had to wait for an afternoon that it didn't rain.

OH! I love it when the ground is so nice and soft.

I still have one smaller one to plant. I may just pot it up for now.

Cheers! And keep showing us more blooms!!!!!!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I'm just going to wait till they open but, I now have a C. Scabum "Peppermint" (white with light purple stripe) and "Ellen Bosanquet a very nice RED just about to open and I can already smell the "Peppermint".

I was wondering where the peppermint fragrance was coming from

Crinum scabrum "Peppermint" with one bloom open of 6 showing. Blooms 4 1/2" from tip to tip and smells like "White Shoulders".
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast