+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mama's Crinum

Crinum Asiaticum "Golden Crinum" also St. John's Lily
    Attached Images  

Crinum Asiaticum "Varagated"
    Attached Images  

Swamp lilies -- Crinum erubesens -- Can grow in regular semi-tropical soil but i t prefers the swamp and I grow mine in pots setting in 4 cubic foot cement tubs filled with water to 3-4 inches most of the year. I do decrease the water to 1-2 inches in the Winter. erubesens should always be confined to a pot as they spread by root runners and will crop up all over your yard if loose. They can be confined to areas by using pond liners in the ground or small children's pool buried to the rim works quite well. Even though they will hold water till evaporation the crinum will not rot in the wet soil.
    Attached Images  

Purple leafed form of Crinum procerum, "Queen Emma". Named for the last native monarch of Hawaii, she is remembered for her love of the plants. This specimen is 4 feet tall and a spread of 5 feet with a trunk of 6". These have been known to grow to 6 to 8 feet tall as 'tree crinums'. She has numerous off shoots which will be removed this fall and given their own pot. The current pot is a 20 gallon pot. One of the "bad" things about Crinum as with ALL Amaryllis family plants they DO NOT like to be moved and sometimes will not bloom for a year or two and must have at least 1/2 day of sun to all day sun.
    Attached Images  

The following is only a part of my asst. of Crinum plants. They are so hardy that I have over 2 dozen varieties that all live outside and I love the unusual ones like Crinum Thaianum which grows completely under water and is sometimes seen in fresh water fish tanks, and "Sangria" that has a Deep wine - red folage and iridescent pink blooms.
    Attached Images  

That is a nice collection of Crinums you have there John.

I only have one and no idea what it is, perhaps when it blooms next summer you may be kind enough to ID it for me.

Sure will be nice when winter is over.

Abby

John,

That is amazing! I adore Crinum, and it is a shame that I have not collected more of them because they love our environment.

In fact, I was trying to dig up one that came from my sister's ranch. I was going to send one to you and one to Hippiefreak (Robert), but at the time, we were short of rain AND I broke my favorite bulb digging shovel. It's my fault... Over the last 30 years, I have left it outside too many times only to find it weeks later.

Anyway, this morning, I bought one that is NOT a wooden handle. That means, I can keep it on the porch and it will be more readily available to me.

I really do adore crinum! You can neglect them and they multiply like crazy! They just keep coming back, year after year!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann and All you others,
    Subject: Shovels
    To all those who do not have a shovel, what are you doing on a gardening forum ? Ha! Ha!
    For your next replacement shovel there are two types now.
    I have solid steal D handled shovel that is my work horse. I also have a solid long handled fiberglass which is still awkward due to the working end being heavier than the handle but, it is great for the big jobs. I also have a long handled wooden but with a solid steel shank on the back of the shovel for those times when you want to "pry" so the yoke of the shovel doesn't bend.
    Also, I have numerous small trowels of all designs that are susposed to be easier than the others and I have not found that any of them beats the EL CHEAPO Dollar store trowel.
    John

John,

My neighbor has one that they have nick named "Digger". I love "Digger", but unfortunately, it is theirs and not mine.

Digger is not comfortable to the feminine hands, but this is no problem. The handle is long and very heavy. I don't know if it is cast iron or what, but the true nicety of this shovel seems to be that the digging edges have been sharpened. So, all you have to do is spot where you wish to dig, hold the shovel vertically and high and let it fall into place. Chunk! Into the earth it goes.

Digger has a personality that I adore and one day, I may just get my brother to make me something like a Digger!

My top soil is not that hard, but under the first few inches is hardened and compacted soil. It is not easy to dig. Oh, there are a few of my gardens that I have amended well enough that it is easy to dig, but I don't dig there very much because the shrubs, etc. are well established. No digging needed....

I have a tiller, but it is too big and heavy for me to use especially in this heat. One day, I hope to get a really small, easy to handle one.

Oh! How I miss the sandy loam where I grew up. If I decide to move (unlikely), I will look at the soil first and make sure that there is LOTS of sandy loam!

John, I have gone through many Dollar Store trowels, and you are right, it is hard to beat the price!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Stage one of the bloom of Crinum Erubescens, more will come later. Note !! the purplish scape at the bottom and the outsides of the blooms are yellow but, will turn white later.
    Attached Images  

This is day # 2 on the bloom. It is starting to turn up toward the sun and the yellow is more prominent now, and there are six (6) smaller blooms ready to open.
    Attached Images  

Day # 3, pix ; maybe in the morning. we are showing dark rainy clouds but, nothing yet.
    Attached Images  

Day # 4 pix. Just enough rain to make things wet, put the dust on your car and otherwise drop the temp to 85 degrees with 99% humidity and no wind. You get a free sauna.
    Attached Images  

Yeah!

Tell me about the spa! I do understand. According to weather.com, it looks like your weather is about to be like mine. I hope so!

My brother dug up a few of the crinum for me. They are now sitting in plastic bags in the shade and will be planted in the morning when it is cooler. The bulbs are HUGE,much bigger than a softball!

Amazing!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Erubescens on day # 5
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast