+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mama's Crinum

Mama's Crinum

She really has plenty of them, so I'm going to talk my brother into digging me up a few of these this winter.

Look at the blooms! This is one scape...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

This is what I mean by "She has plenty!"
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

And around the corner, there are more...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Beautiful flowers!

Tell her she has too many, that they look too crowded and messy and bla bla bla, and that for the sake of the plants you are willing to help her dig some out.
    Dave

Thanks, Dave!

They are quite pretty. I wish I knew what kind they are! There are so many varieties and most of them are not marketed. They are simply 'passed along'.

I'm sure she won't mind my digging up a few. She has a huge clump of those pink ones that I dug up from my grandmother's house (years ago).

What amazes me about this one is the sheer count of the blooms Amazing!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The umbel in the uppermost picture consists of at least 25 indiv. flowers. That is plenty! And certainly these are well-scented, aren't they?!

Crinum ID
    This is a Crinum X herbertii variant often refered to as "Milk and Wine". They are crosses of Scabrum and bulbispermum.
    John
    PS: Crinums are an Amaryllis Family plant and last longer than the owners.

OH! Thank you, John!

I was wondering if it was the same as 'Milk and Wine'.

Hans-Werner, I noted a slight scent, but not very strong. Perhaps, it was the time of the day and the lack of rain? I dunno... I'll pay more attention the next time that I visit.

Fun! Aren't they?!?!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

ANN ----- Don't make me get started on my Crinums. I know youall thought, John only deals in Hippies, well, I'm in the whole Amaryllis family that includes Crinum the generation plant passed from mother to daughter and on and on and on. You are going to make me post a pix. of my "Queen Emma" the only purple leafed Crinum, that is in a 20 gallon pot in the shade of my Arizona Ash tree setting in a cement tub of water. It is about 5 feet tall. I have others and almost all Crinums have a faint to strong scent. I also have the only yellow blooming crinum a native of Australia. They have not bloomed yet as small but plan on crossing with hippies. I also have a variegated green and white and a golden yellow leafed.
    John

You are kidding me?

As you can see, Crinum love it here!

I can't tell you the number of times that I drove through Conroe, Texas on the way to my sister's ranch and had no clue that this beautiful town contained Marcelle's wonderful creations.

John, I have been growing hippeastrum for a very long tme. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but Crinum were simply something that was growing massively in everyone's yard. I had no idea that there were so many exotic varieties!

Please do... Post pics!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Corpus Christi, Beeville, Rockport, Aransas Pass, Kingsville all here in South Texas are homes of Crinum hybrids and our nurseries don't even carry them as they are passed from one house to the next and everybody has some and most don't even know what they are. And, as in Alabama coast so many don't know what is really out there and how beautiful they are and the colors.
    John

John,

I suppose that I should get started on crinum. You see... I have never tried to hybridize them because all I have are the hand me down varieties that I have gotten from here and there.

Still, I love them, and I should add more to my landscape. Given time, I will, but goodness knows, I have my hands full!

We would love to see your pics!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Scadoxus multiflorus native of South Africa thrives in the South from zone 8a into Mexico. Enjoys filtered 50% shade and damp but not wet bulbs and depending on the heat will bloom in June- July time frame. This one is just starting to open.

The promise of things to come:
    Attached Images  
    tennessee sue

Scadoxus from South Africa, Amaryllis Family
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast