+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tornados popping up like mushrooms; amazing photo

Blog Entries

Tornados popping up like mushrooms; amazing photo

The weatherman was extra busy last night describing tornados that were popping up like mushrooms over a broad swath of western Kansas. Central Kansas was not in danger although Wichita was in the big red wedge on the weather map indicating a 'watch' area. As the weatherman said, "If I am talking about your town that is not good; if I am not talking about your town, expect 65 mph wind and hale from quarter to gold ball size." The storm made it to Wichita during the sleeping hours. I don't know what time it was. All I know is that I got up to close the bathroom window and the wind was blowing ferociously. I was just too sleepy to pay it much attention(guess I've lived in Kansas too long!). I did wonder how my orchids were doing hanging in that basket in the tree. When morning came, no damage and the orchids were fine(guess the wind blew thru the mesh basket). The dog's food dish was filled to the top with water so at least 4* inches of rain.
    Here is a neat photo showing funnel and lightning bolt:
    http://www.ksn.com/news/local/19234849.html
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

OMG!

That is awesome and quite scary!

Cathy, I am so glad that you were safe. I haven't listened to the news today. I had no idea...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    My Mom phoned last night and again just a few minutes ago. Apparently, last night, CNN made it sound and look like all of Kansas was in the path of one huge tornado. Just now, they are replaying, or just now reporting, deaths discovered from last night's tornados--only it sounds like it is happening now. I told Mom to turn off the TV and that we are fine. Darn those 24 hour news channels for constantly replaying the same stuff over and over. It is still rainy off and on but nothing like last night.
    BTW, we are in Sedgwick county(just in case you hear or read any reports mentioning a counties).
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread