+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orchids putting on new growth

Blog Entries

Orchids putting on new growth

Despite being very unsure of how to gtow orchids, all 5 are putting on new growth. To some extent I've ignored them--that might have helped.
    The Dendrobiums, while losing leaves, are getting ne growth. I know they lose leaves but one is losing almostall its leaves but there is a new shoot growing at the same time. Despite reading about them, they still mystify me. I'm considering putting the cymbidiums outside under a tree.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Those Cyms would love summer under a tree and actually, after you acclimate them to the great out doors they can take a great dear of direct sun!

Some Dens are dicudious, but most likely the type you have (D phalaneopsis types, right?) were just kept too dry.

when your Dens bloom againget some good images and then see if you can get in touch with a local grower (through the American Orchid Society) and possibly get the proper ID for them. This way you can find the specific cultural requierments needed by these plants.

Didn't you state at one time that you have Rebecca Northerns book, "Home Orchid Growing"? This is a very useful tool for finding cultural requierments. When I lived down in Souther Indiana and frequented Mrs Garrison's she often had all of their Cyms moved out of the greenhouse during the summer and early fall (before frost!), they only had shade from the hottest noon day sun and they did beautifully!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Yep, I got the Northern book from Txbyer's library reduction !
    It's a good book alright .
    I know that one is Den. Emma White. I just did a quick search. One source called it 'idiot proof'(hey, I resemble that remark!). Another suggestd placing it in an east window--yay, that is where oit is ! BUT, as you suspected, I think it hasn't had enough water. I also repotted it after I got it. The other one is just tagged 'Blue"(wow, that helps-not!).
    My third one is not a Den. it is called Hawksinara Sogo Doll Little Angel; it's a Cattlelya. It isn't losing any leaves
    I's love to put the Cyms outside. Now, if I had done it today...right now the wind is blowiing like crazy--sounds like the ocean and the temp dropped --it's cold ! So, I'd better wait until the end of May.
    I'd love to get them all outside. I'll have to read up and see if that would be OK for the others.
    Thanks Rebecca !

Blog Entries
    I have always put all of my orchids outside for the summer! Finding a spot for them now is the hard part since the Red Bud tree they used to hang from died (and fell down) and the saplings aren't really big enough yet to support the weight. And they have to go where the "tree rat" won't be getting into them! Only have 2 that are actually alive and doing half way well, a third that's trying to die for some reason and the fourth with only one leaf and no crown, don't know what it's ever going to do. The one miniature might be able to hang in the bigger Red Bud sapling, but will wait until June to even try putting them outside.

Don't get in a big rush to get those Cyms out! While they can take some pretty cool temps, they don't like it and with new growth there is too big of a risk of damaging them. So wait!

thing about the Dems is finding out what Species they are from (in the case of Hybrids), and the Catt intraspecific can take pretty strong light as well, but no direct sun except maybe very early morning!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    All plants went outside today.

I racked my brain trying to figure how to situate the orchids. Home Depot didn't have any of those macrame pot hangers....so...bing ! I remembered that in my garage was one of those mesh net tiered hanging baskets(for produce in the kitchen).
    So I rigged it up as shown below(it is hanging from the umbrella tree-weeping mulberry):
    top tier is a den
    second tier is a den
    botton tier is the miniature cattleya
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    In addition to photo above, here is the area:
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Hum. . .I think I might have one of those mesh basket thingies in the basement, if not I may have to get one for my orchids! Not sure if I can find or reach a branch strong enough to hold them since they are all in clay pots, but I like the idea!

I've only movved two "house plants" out! Those are a couple of Lantana plants I'm going to plant in the ground in the old perennial bed. Just haven't had time to worry about bringing then house plants out yet! Have been thinking about it though and getting the stands ready!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread